Latest update August 19th, 2026 10:39 AM
Jul 23, 2016 Sports
Youth Basketball Guyana (YBG) has issued a statement where it says that it will now put the
completion of the 2016 National Schools’ Basketball Festival (NSBF) into priority, announcing new dates for the restart of the competition.
The 2016 YBG Regional Tournament and NSBF Championships, tipped off on April 23, and continued until June 12 in three conference zones- Georgetown, East Coast and Berbice, and four competitive divisions: Under-14, Under-16, Under-19 and Girls.
Following the Regional Quarter-Finals, the tournament was suspended to give way to Guyana’s Amateur Basketball Federation (GABF) hosting the Caribbean Basketball Confederation (CBC) U-16 Championships at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall.
“We are very pleased with the level of competition and increase in participation, which we have seen so far this year. The female tournament has grown from only three teams last year, to 13 this year; and in both the U-14 and 16 male divisions, participation has doubled,” YBG said in a statement.
“The YBG tournaments, no doubt continues to lay the foundation for the future of the game of basketball in Guyana. This was clearly evident with the vital role YBG played in the selection and preparation processes of the national teams for the CBC U16 Championships, and ultimately the success of the Guyana teams during the tournament,” the statement continued.
Guyana’s male team placed second, moving them on to the Centro Basketball Championships next year, a first for Guyana’s basketball. On the other hand, the women placed seventh, laying a good foundation to drive future development.
The new dates for the NSBF Regionals (All Zones) are September 17-29; Regional Finals, Sept. 30 and the NSBF and National Championships, October 1-9.
“We are obviously very excited about the much improved playing facilities at the CASH, accommodation at the Gymnasium and the overall boost that the Festival will now get from the tremendous success of the CBC U16,” the statement noted.
“This will no doubt also raise the value of the tournament experience for our student-athletes, as well as the return of the value on the investment of our main sponsors Digicel Guyana, Edward B. Beharry & Company Ltd and Banks DIH,” the document continued.
YBG said that a great deal of credit must be given to Nigel Hinds for driving this effort, and to all the willing partners who have made this possible.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 19, 2026
…Annandale Secondary and Abram Zuil in huge clash at the Enterprise Ground today Kaieteur News – The nationwide Ministry of Education/Beharry Holdings U-19 Secondary School’s T20...Aug 19, 2026
Kaieteur News – Some persons have pounced upon an internal controversy within the Caribbean Court of Justice and the subsequent disclosure that the President of the Court, Justice Winston Anderson had become involved in trying to resolve Guyana’s long-running judicial impasse over the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) In over six years, 10 percent of Guyana’s stated oil reserves is gone. There’s confidence that Exxon will find more replacement oil. The company may have come across more proven reserves than it has been saying. But that’s for another day. It is a rather lonely figure that...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com