Latest update May 18th, 2026 12:35 AM
Sep 09, 2016 News
A third well drilled by US-owned ExxonMobil has failed to find oil in commercial
quantities, Government announced yesterday.
But the setback is not daunting the company, which is steaming ahead to develop another well which struck oil last year.
Announcing the results of the third well yesterday, the Ministry of Natural Resources disclosed that it was informed by ExxonMobil and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) on August 29, 2016 that the ‘Skip Jack’ well proved not to have commercial quantities of hydrocarbons.
“We are continuing to have verification work done and awaiting a full report and more information will be provided then. This announcement reminded us of the undulating fortunes of mining in general and of oil exploration in particular.”
However, the exploration company will continue with plans to develop the Liza well, the first one drilled last year, with its declared capacity of approximately one billion barrels.
The ministry said that the company will also look for other possible targets for drilling.
“Likewise, the Government continues its preparations for the eventual production of oil and gas in the near future by building capacity at the legislative, technical and regulatory levels.”
Oil production in the ExxonMobil concessions offshore Guyana could see as much as 200,000 barrels of oil per day during full operations.
Last month, ExxonMobil met with the business community and media houses to update them on the activities. It is expected that production could start by 2020.
Company officials had disclosed that its second well confirmed the preliminary findings of its predecessor, the Liza 1 well, which saw sufficient deposits of oil to develop and extract commercially.
”Recent data from the Liza 2 appraisal well and 3D seismic survey indicates that the discovery contains some 0.8 billion to 1.4 billion barrels of oil deposits.
The company is looking at more than 100,000 barrels per day when production starts in four years time.
The Private Sector Commission had disclosed that the exploration company had assured the importance of local jobs and other opportunities for businesses. However, it is unlikely thousands of jobs will be created from the oil activities, the exploration company cautioned.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 18, 2026
2026/27 West Indies Regional 4-Day Championships Finals…GHE vs. TTRF Day 1… – TTRF 1st inns. (240-9 Seales 63*) entering Day 2 By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – A burst of venom at the...May 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The photographs told the story before a single word was spoken. At the recent meeting between the General Secretary of the People’s Progressive Party and party activists from the East Bank of Demerara, Linden and reportedly other areas, the arrangement of the room itself...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – When a member of the New York Police Department hears mention of the IAD, red madness takes over. IAD stands for Internal Affairs Division. IAD is not respected by its cop constituency. It is feared. Feared like the Grim Reaper’s chainsaw. IAD snoops around, builds files, can...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com