Latest update May 19th, 2026 12:35 AM
Jul 08, 2016 Sports
Both Captains and Coaches expressed disappointment with yesterday’s washed out opening round game of the historic Regional Women’s Super50 cricket Tournament between host Guyana and the Windwards at the Enterprise ground on the East Coast of Demerara.
Guyana’s Captain and West Indies female World Cup winner Tremayne Smartt said she and her team, which includes fellow Berbician and West Indies female cricketer Shemaine Campbell, were very disappointed by the abandoned game which was caused by wet spots on the outfield particularly one just inside the 30-yard circle.
The match was scheduled to commence at 09:30hrs but was called off at 14:35hrs after a 14:00hrs inspections by the Umpires.
“We only got two points from today’s (yesterday’s) match and it’s frustrating to sit in hot sun and no play. I think the ground staff worked really hard but were few to deal with such a large area” Smartt said.
Windwards Skipper and West Indies female World Cup Champion Afy Fletcher echoed Smartt’s comments adding her team arrived in Guyana last week Thursday for a one week Camp. Albion in Berbice was mentioned as a possible venue especially since both of Guyana’s West Indies World Cup players lives in that County. However it is understood that Albion was unavailable.
Guyanese born Clayton Burnett who now lives in St Vincent, is the Windward’s Coach and informed that while his charges were here for a camp they did not have practice due to the adverse weather and used the week as a ‘gelling’ period.
“We had a fielding session at the Providence Stadium and the girls were very excited about that. We came here to play cricket and this (washed out) game is a set-back for us especially since today (yesterday) is the best weather we have gotten since we got here” said Burnett who lived in Berbice before he migrated.
Burnett informed that Windwards paid for their additional hotel stay in Guyana and was in constant contact with GCB’s TDO Colin Stuart but did use the indoor practice facility at LBI.
Guyana’s Coach Andre Percival said that despite the wash out his team is confident of doing well.
All six territorial boards of the WICB will be represented and for the first time ever, Leeward Islands will field a squad in a regional women’s tournament and Windward Islands will play as a single unit alongside defending champions Barbados, five-time winners Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago and hosts Guyana.
This will be the second change to the format for the Regional Women’s Tournament in as many seasons, having moved from an eight-team league with no Leewards and the four nations that form the Windwards playing as individual teams up to last year when the Windwards played in two groups, North and South, along with the Barbadians, Jamaicans, T&T and Guyanese.
Elsewhere, the Leeward Islands / Jamaica match was also abandoned at Everest ground due to wet conditions. At Enmore, Trinidad and Tobago defeated Barbados by 4-wickets. Barbados batting first made 76 all and in reply, the Twin Island Republic reached 77-6 to win by 4-wickets. (Sean Devers)
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 19, 2026
Guyana’s 60TH Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports Kaieteur Sports – Guyana’s 60th Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports programme kicked off in the past week with four disciplines and three...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The debate over Article 13 of Guyana’s Constitution is not simply about words. It is about political power, who controls the state, and whether ordinary people truly have authority in national decision-making. The defenders of “inclusionary democracy” present it as a...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Pres. Ali and the PPP Gov’t celebrates jobs, jobs, jobs. Question One: who’s doing them? Sure, there are more jobs. Question Two: what kind of jobs? Since the people to do high-level, top-quality jobs aren’t here. They keep running away. When only Haiti did worse than...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com