Latest update August 15th, 2026 10:49 AM
Jul 23, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – The Mayor and Town Council (M&TC) of New Amsterdam has announced that families of those who lost their lives in the MV Barima tragedy will not be required to pay for burial plots at the Stanleytown Cemetery.
Mayor Wainwright McIntosh made the announcement on Wednesday, describing the move as a gesture of solidarity with the grieving families.
“I wish to announce that the municipality of New Amsterdam will be waiving all costs associated with burial spaces for the victims of this tragedy. The affected families will not be required to pay any monies for burial spaces….as a municipality, we pray that God will grant these families the strength, comfort, and courage they need during this profoundly painful period,” the mayor said in a statement.

New Amsterdam Mayor, Wainwright McIntosh and APNU Councillor Pollyanne Schultz with the parents of Kevin Wilson.
Also on Wednesday, McIntosh, accompanied by Councillor Pollyanne Schultz, visited the homes of families whose relatives have been confirmed dead, as well as families of persons who remain missing following Saturday evening’s tragedy.
Among those visited was the family of 28-year-old Kevin Wilson, whose death was confirmed on Monday evening. During the visit, the mayor informed the family of the council’s decision and said the municipality was committed to easing some of the burden they now face.
The mayor also announced that anyone who had already paid for burial spaces before Wednesday’s decision would receive a full refund through the council’s treasurer’s office.
McIntosh said the decision required little discussion, noting that it was only fitting for the municipality to provide practical assistance to families affected by the disaster while joining other organisations and agencies in supporting them.
“This is a critical junction in the history of this country. Over a hundred lives were lost. This is very tragic. My heart goes out nationally. The town of New Amsterdam, we are standing in solidarity with you as a family, and with every other family who would’ve lost their loved ones.”
The mayor also visited the family of 56-year-old sailor Raymond Somra of Islington, East Bank Berbice, who remains unaccounted for. Relatives said Somra had worked as a sailor for more than four decades.
Visits were also made to the families of Paul Seepersaud, 44, of Vryman’s Erven, New Amsterdam, whose body was recovered on Tuesday, and Devon Mars of Sandvoort Village, West Bank Berbice, whose identity is yet to be officially confirmed.
The government has declared three days of national mourning following the tragedy, while religious and community organisations across the country have organised activities in remembrance of the victims.
The Municipality of New Amsterdam has also hosted a candlelight vigil and a night of prayer in honour of those who lost their lives.
“At this time of national crisis, the town of New Amsterdam joins the entire nation of Guyana in mourning the lives lost, while remaining hopeful for those citizens who are still missing. We pray that, as a country and as a people, unity, compassion, and good sense will prevail. This is no time for politics. Families are hurting, and our focus must be on supporting them, comforting them, and standing with them. We remain hopeful that those who are still missing will be found,” McIntosh stressed.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 15, 2026
By Rawle Toney (Kaieteur Sports) The Bayroc National Stadium in Linden has emerged as Guyana’s only track and field facility currently listed as certified by World Athletics. According to track and...Aug 15, 2026
(Kaieteur News) For months now Cuba has been under U.S. pressure. It is being starved of the resources it needs for energy in the face of the collapse of its electricity grid. And only a handful of individual and groups in Guyana have been brave enough to come forward and to condemn the imperialist...Aug 02, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Daniel Ortega has now said openly what his regime has demonstrated for years: the people of Nicaragua are not to be permitted to remove their rulers through elections. During celebrations marking the 47th anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution, Ortega...Aug 15, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) I think that CCJ President, Dr. Winston Anderson, has only one option. My recommendation is that he tenders. From what is now concretised in the public record, most likely throughout the region, he is radioactive. If the allegations were from one colleague, I...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com