Latest update May 2nd, 2026 12:30 AM
Feb 24, 2026 News
(AL-JAZEERA) The United States military has announced another strike in the Caribbean Sea that it said targeted drug smugglers, killing three people.
The Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) of the US military shared footage of the attack on Monday, showing a small boat exploding and going up in flames after the strike.
“Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Caribbean and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations,” SOUTHCOM said in a statement.

This screengrab from a video posted by US President Donald Trump on his Truth Social account on September 15, 2025, shows what the Pentagon says is a strike on a boat carrying alleged drug traffickers in the Caribbean Sea [File: Handout/US President Donald Trump’s Truth Social account via AFP]
The attack brings the death toll from US boat strikes that started last year to around 150.
Rights advocates have said the US military campaign targeting alleged drug smugglers amounts to extrajudicial killings and risks violating international and domestic laws.
The US administration has argued that all the targeted boats were carrying drugs, but it has offered little evidence other than grainy footage of the strikes.
United Nations experts warned last year that the attacks “appear to be unlawful killings carried out by order of a Government, without judicial or legal process allowing due process of law”.
“Unprovoked attacks and killings on international waters also violate international maritime laws,” the experts added.
“We have condemned and raised concerns about these attacks at sea to the United States Government.”
The strikes started in September of last year, as the US was building up its military assets in the Caribbean amid tensions with Venezuela. Since then, they have expanded and started targeting boats in the eastern Pacific Ocean.
A separate US strike on an alleged drug-smuggling boat on Friday also killed three people.
The campaign has continued even after US forces abducted Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro early in 2026.
Trump and other US officials have argued without providing evidence that each bombing saves thousands of lives from overdose deaths. But it is not clear whether the deadly campaign has significantly affected the drug trade in the region.
The latest attack comes as Mexican authorities push to curb violence by drug cartels after the killing of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel kingpin, Nemesio Ruben Oseguera Cervantes, also known as “El Mencho”.
Trump has been pushing to present himself as launching a literal war on drugs across the Western Hemisphere.
“Mexico must step up their effort on Cartels and Drugs!” Trump wrote on Truth Social on Monday.
The US has often accused its critics in Latin America, including Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro, of ties to the drug trade.
At the same time, in December, he pardoned former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who was serving a 45-year prison sentence in US jails after being convicted of drug trafficking.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Comments are closed.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 02, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – It all comes down to the final two schools in the 12th Annual Massy Distribution Secondary Schools Under-18 Football Tournament, and what a journey it has been. Chase Academic...May 02, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Imagine inviting everyone to dinner and then allowing only the wealthiest guests to eat, while the rest are encouraged to admire the cutlery and wait patiently for “future dining opportunities.” Now, I am told that in Guyana, the government has invited Expressions of...Apr 19, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) –As with all my commentaries, this one is strictly in my personal capacity, drawing on more than fifty years of engagement with Caribbean affairs and a lifelong commitment to the cause of regional integration. I do not speak on behalf of any government or...May 02, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – It’s a long-held mantra. The best policies and best procedures are nothing, if there are no people with the required energy, care, and ethos to breathe life into them. Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony, made his moves, proved me right. He engaged,...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com
rediculous