Latest update August 16th, 2026 10:20 AM
Dec 14, 2016 News
…but awaits written court order from Chief Justice
Although a court-ordered review of senior promotions within Public schools is expected to be shortly set in motion by the Teaching Service Commission (TSC), the absence of a written court ruling could delay the process.
Sharing this development yesterday was Chairperson of the Commission, Ms. Leila Ramson.
Chief Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, on November 10, last, ruled that the 2015/2016 senior promotions lists of the TSC and the Schools Board Secretariat (SBS) be reviewed.
The operation of the SBS is governed by the TSC.
The stalled promotions had resulted in no senior teachers’ promotions for the past two years.
The court proceeding was initiated by an injunction filed by the Guyana Teachers’ Union (GTU) which had reason to believe that the promotion processes of both the TSC and the SBS were flawed.
Ramson disclosed yesterday that while the oral decision of the Chief Justice took approximately two years to be arrived at, a written decision has not yet been forthcoming.
“A modus operandi has to be worked out, but to date TSC has not received a written decision from the Chief Justice. Hopefully, we will receive the written decision from the Court by early January,” Ramson said.
Ramson divulged yesterday that the TSC, which is a Constitutional and Autonomous body, was strongly advised by three Senior Counsel to appeal the Court Order handed down by the Chief Justice. She, however, noted that it was recognized that “since the pursuance of said appeal would result in a long and time-consuming process, TSC has decided not to do so, on humanitarian grounds. The TSC wishes to state that its decision not to appeal was primarily to avoid any further suffering of the affected teachers which would ultimately also affect the nation’s children.”
According to Ramson, the decision to proceed with the review was made yesterday during the TSC’s monthly statutory meeting. During the meeting Commissioners agreed that the 2015/2016 Senior Promotion List for School Administrators be done during the course of the new school term.
According to Ramson, a Special Full Commission meeting will be held early January 2017 to plan the review. This exercise will definitely take a few months, since a thorough review of approximately 5,000 applications will be done.
But GTU President, Mr. Mark Lyte at a recent press conference said that he was convinced that the process would take no more than a few weeks to be completed. This is light of the fact, he noted, that the TSC and the SBS are already in possession of the applications and merely have to review these.
Lyte had revealed last month that should this year come to an end without any adherence to the judgement that favoured the union, stern action will be taken. A decision in this regard, he said, will be arrived at when the union’s general council meets this month.
“We will be calling out our teachers come January if these reviews are not done. It is our belief that TSC is afraid of what they will discover. We also believe that they have no regards for the rule of law,” said Lyte as he shared his conviction that “the TSC simply does not care about the teachers who are affected.”
The GTU has been calling on the Minister of Education, Dr. Rupert Roopnaraine, and President David Granger to urgently intervene in the promotion issue which has for two years denied teachers within the public system senior promotions.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 16, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – Several aspiring and established boxing officials are set to strengthen their knowledge of the sport as the Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) launched its 2026 Referee/Judges...Aug 16, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – It is deeply misleading to present Forbes Burnham primarily as a tragic nation-builder whose ambitions were constrained by Guyana’s ethnic divisions. That interpretation reverses the relationship between cause and consequence. Guyana’s ethnic divisions were indeed real,...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 16, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – It pains to listen, read, absorb the descendants of slaves and indentured servants make public representation that prioritises chasing after those condemned. Leakers. After all the great sacrifices made by foreparents, in the jaws of fearsome...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com