Latest update August 17th, 2026 10:20 AM
Aug 17, 2026 News
(AP) — Colombia’s President Abelardo de la Espriella has asked his ally U.S. President Donald Trump to suspend tariffs to help the South American nation recover from a powerful earthquake that killed at least 289 people.
De la Espriella took office earlier this month just days before the 7.4 magnitude quake struck. He was backed by Trump in Colombia’s closely contested presidential election, which was decided in a runoff on21st June, and has sought to emphasise his connections with the U.S. leader.

A crane lifts a concrete slab to clear the way for rescuers searching through the rubble, three days after the earthquake hit Perreira, Columbia, Thursday, August 13, 2026. (AP photo).
On Saturday night, de la Espriella wrote on X that he spoke with Trump and thanked him for aid sent by the U.S. in response to the earthquake. He added that he “asked him to consider the temporary suspension of the high tariffs that affect Colombian products, in order to provide relief to our businesspeople.
There has been no immediate response from the Trump administration to de la Espriella’s request. The U.S. has offered a total of $26.5 million in earthquake aid, including food, shelters and health supplies, according to the U.S. State Department.
The earthquake that struck Monday morning devastated parts of western Colombia, hitting cities including Pereira, Cali and Quibdo. Cities along the country’s Pacific coast were hit particularly hard. The president declared the quake a natural disaster.
The government has said that 143 people are missing, while other civilian-run databases put the number in the thousands.
The natural disaster, whose epicenter was in one of the poorest regions of the country, Choco, has so far left 3,937 people injured, according to the government. In addition, it destroyed 14,705 homes and damaged another 81,536.
In Cali, Colombia’s third biggest city, workers searched for the more than 70 people reported missing in that city. Hope remained alive even after the key 48-to-72-hour window to find survivors beneath the rubble has long passed.
“Miracles do happen” even though more than 120 hours have passed since the earthquake struck, said Cali Mayor Alejandro Eder from the unified command post. “We are working where we know there are still victims; we are working in the hope of rescuing people alive.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 17, 2026
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – The Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Under-14 Boys made a commanding start to the 2026 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) U14 Challenge Series, securing a resounding 8...Aug 17, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – One of the persistent afflictions of post-colonial societies is the absence of planning commensurate with ambition. Governments announce grand projects, inaugurate grand buildings, make grand speeches and produce grand visions, but somewhere between the vision and the delivery...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 17, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – I have heard about a hanging judge. From readings, I know about travelling judges. There’s familiarity with governing judges better known as Administrative Law Judges. Thanks to the leader of the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), Mr. Aubrey Norton, I now have my...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com