Latest update May 21st, 2026 12:35 AM
May 21, 2026 News
(AL-JAZEERA) The number of suspected Ebola cases in Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda has risen to 600, with 139 suspected deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.
The WHO Emergency Committee met in Geneva on Wednesday, where Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus confirmed to reporters that the virus remains a public health emergency of international concern, but not a pandemic emergency.
“The WHO assess the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” Tedros said.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus speaks during a news conference on the Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, in Geneva, on May 20, 2026 [AFP]
WHO emergencies chief Chikwe Ihekweazu said at the same news conference that the organisation’s “absolute priority now is to identify all the existing chains of transmission”.
“That will then enable us to really define the scale of the outbreak and be able to provide care,” Ihekweazu said.
Tedros first declared the emergency on Sunday and said he had done so without consulting other experts due to the urgency of the situation.
Health authorities say the outbreak is being fueled by the Bundibugyo strain, a type of Ebola virus for which no vaccine or treatment exists.
Of the 600 suspected cases, the WHO said 51 had been confirmed in the DRC’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu.
Uganda has also confirmed two cases in Kampala, including one death, from two people who travelled from the DRC to Uganda.
A medical missionary who contracted Ebola in the DRC is also being transported to Germany for treatment.
WHO experts said that they believe the outbreak began a few months ago, with the first suspected death reported on April 20.
After the first death, officials said, a suspected super-spreader event is believed to have taken place at either a funeral or a healthcare facility, though investigations are ongoing.
A European Union spokesperson, meanwhile, said on Wednesday the risk of an outbreak in Europe is “very low”.
“We know that diseases do not stop at the borders, and this is also the case of Ebola,” spokesperson Eva Hrncirova told reporters.
But “there is no indication” that Europeans need to do anything other than follow standard health advice, she said.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 21, 2026
2026/27 West Indies Regional 4-Day Championships Finals…GHE vs TTRF Day 4 – Guyana lose by 141 runs after pacers dominate 2nd innings By Clifton Ross (Kaieteur News) – Trinidad and Tobago...May 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There was a time, not too long ago, when some – not all – overseas Guyanese approached Guyana with caution, disgust and the occasional handkerchief pressed dramatically to the nose. They came down from New York and Toronto with accents that had ripened in exile, and with...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 21, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Guyanese know that Pres. Ali is prone to verbal excess. A standard not likely to be reversed. Citizens who had contact with him, actually heard him, have had orchestra seats to his blasts of the artificial (solemn promises to the grieving hurt by...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com