Latest update August 20th, 2026 10:20 AM
Apr 01, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – Minister of Home Affairs Oneidge Walrond, has rejected allegations from the family of 30-year-old Otis Payne, who claims he was beaten by members of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) prior to his death.
The minister stated that available video footage contradicts those claims. Payne, a resident of Haslington, East Coast Demerara, died while in police custody on March 24, 2025, at the Cove and John Police Station. According to reports, his family was only informed of his situation on the day he was expected to appear in court on a domestic violence charge. However, upon arriving at the station, relatives were told that his body had already been transferred to the Enmore Regional Hospital mortuary.

Family members, including Payne’s mother, siblings, relatives, and close friends, gathered at the Haslington public road with placards demanding justice for Otis Payne.
Payne’s death has triggered widespread concern and public scrutiny, particularly following the release of an autopsy report which concluded that he died from peritonitis—a serious infection of the abdominal cavity caused by a perforated stomach ulcer.
In the aftermath of the incident, two police officers who were on duty at the time of Payne’s detention have been placed under close arrest. Investigations are ongoing and are being conducted by the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR).
Reports indicate that Payne was arrested the Friday prior to his death in connection with a domestic violence complaint and was scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday. Questions have since been raised about the length of time he was held in custody before being brought before the court.
Police stated that Payne had complained of feeling unwell and was taken to the Enmore Regional Hospital for treatment. After being returned to the station, he reportedly complained again, collapsed, and was rushed back to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Despite the official findings, Payne’s mother, Amanda Kato, has strongly disputed the conclusion that her son died of natural causes.
Kato, who witnessed the post-mortem examination along with other relatives, described the condition of her son’s body as deeply troubling.
“I saw his body—it is very disturbing. It looks like they beat up my son. I can’t accept that. I am not satisfied,” she said, suggesting that physical violence may have contributed to his death.
Addressing the allegations, Minister Walrond, said authorities have reviewed footage that does not support claims of police brutality.
“We have seen footage that does not bear credence to the claim that he was beaten by the police,” he stated.
She also reaffirmed the government’s stance on the treatment of individuals in custody, stressing a strict zero-tolerance policy toward abuse.
“There is no tolerance for that kind of behaviour or mistreatment of anyone in police custody. I have dealt with similar reports before, and they have been dealt with very seriously,” she added.
The minister also referenced a separate incident that surfaced on Tuesday involving a video circulating online, which allegedly shows police officers beating and using a taser on a civilian. The individual was reportedly taken to hospital after complaining of pain.
Walrond confirmed that the matter is under investigation and that a report has been requested.
“These things are taken extremely seriously by my office,” she said.
Meanwhile, public outrage over Payne’s death has led to peaceful protests along the Haslington Public Road on the East Coast Demerara.
Family members, including Payne’s mother, siblings, relatives, and close friends, gathered with placards demanding justice. Messages displayed included “Justice for Jah Jah,” “Enough is enough, justice for Otis,” “Police brutality must stop,” and “When cops kill us, where is the justice?”
Kato, visibly emotional, joined the demonstration holding a sign reading, “Not another black life. We humans are not robots,” as protesters chanted, “We want justice—no justice, no peace.”
“This is pain. He did not deserve that. I have to get justice for my son,” she said. “They violated his constitutional rights—he was in there beyond 72 hours.”
The case is continuing to attract attention across the country as investigations go on, with more people calling for accountability and transparency in deaths that occur in police custody.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 20, 2026
2026 Republic Bank CPL – GAW vs. SLK – Dindyal hits classy 50 Kaieteur Sports – Guyana Amazon Warriors continued to build a nice win streak as they gained additional form and momentum...Aug 20, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – For two decades, Dan Rather was the face of the CBS Evening News. During that extraordinary period, he acquired a reputation as one of the world’s foremost journalists and television news anchors. He reported from some of the most consequential events of the late...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 20, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – I used to look at the CCJ as a bridge over troubled waters. Up in the air now. When the expectation was that regional judicial heads would take a stand, they withered, faded, ultimately collapsed under the weight of their own reasoning, and...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com