Latest update May 21st, 2026 12:35 AM
Sep 30, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – Workers of the Bauxite Mining Company (BOSAI) have settled for a 7.5 % pay increase for 2025 with additional benefits, following conciliation talks with the Chinese company spearheaded by the Ministry of Labour on Monday.
The company also agreed to give them an 8 percent increase next year. Among the additional benefits are meal allowance and night premium. The workers were initially demanding an 8 percent increase this year and 8.5 percent next year but the Chinese company refused, offering only 7 percent. As a result workers downed tools last Wednesday night and held a strike on Thursday (the following day). The strike actions engaged the attentions of Opposition politicians- one of them, WIN’s leader, Azruddin Mohamed and also the Ministry of Labour and Manpower Planning. The ministry, imposed conciliation talks under the condition that the Bosai employees resume work. The workers complied and on Monday, the Ministry held its end of the bargain by hosting the conciliation talks.
Following the strike, the ministry had said that it sought to engage the management of the company and the workers’ representatives- National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) on the issue. The Chief Labour Officer, Mr. Dhaneshwar Deonarine, chaired a meeting with the parties where several issues arose and several proposals were put forward in an effort to bring the strike action to an end.
Meanwhile, on the picket line last week Forward Guyana Movement (FGM) and We Invest in Nationhood (WIN) political parties engaged with the workers. The workers took turns voicing their concerns to Mohamed. One of the workers told the WIN leader that the salary they currently receive is like a stipend. “The first thing is that we does draw a stipend we don’t draw a salary.” “We give these men a reasonable proposal because every year was 6.5 (percent), 5 point this and all kind of stuff, so we said 8. 5 percent this year 9 next year. Dem seh nah so we aright, we come down to 8 (percent) 8.5 (Percent), them still nah want that
“We ain’t want hear nothing bout 7 (percent) it’s too long we been oppressed in our country by these bannas. I fed up of that,” the disgruntled worker added.
According to him, the Chinese bosses would say they are not making money but he is not buying that. “Pack up and leave if yuh ain’t meking profit” the man continued as he vented his frustration. His colleagues agreed with him that BOSAI is always “singing a sad tune to avoid giving us a raise.” They claimed that company continues to expand its operations in Region 10 and has even bought new fleet of vehicles.
Others raised concerns that the company has Chinese nationals in their employ who they allegedly pay better salaries than the locals. The workers also complained that safety protocols are being breached by the company and working conditions are poor. Following the meeting with the workers the WIN party called on the government to act quickly. In a statement then the party said that it stood in solidarity with BOSAI workers as they raise critical concerns about safety, fair treatment, and respect on the job. “Issues such as unsafe machinery, sick leave, lunch breaks, fair wages, and adherence to labour laws are not privileges; they are basic rights”, the party stated while adding “We urge BOSAI, the unions, and the Ministry of Labour to continue dialogue in good faith and deliver a just resolution that protects workers and supports the Region 10 economy.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 21, 2026
2026/27 West Indies Regional 4-Day Championships Finals…GHE vs TTRF Day 4 – Guyana lose by 141 runs after pacers dominate 2nd innings By Clifton Ross (Kaieteur News) – Trinidad and Tobago...May 21, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There was a time, not too long ago, when some – not all – overseas Guyanese approached Guyana with caution, disgust and the occasional handkerchief pressed dramatically to the nose. They came down from New York and Toronto with accents that had ripened in exile, and with...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 21, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Guyanese know that Pres. Ali is prone to verbal excess. A standard not likely to be reversed. Citizens who had contact with him, actually heard him, have had orchestra seats to his blasts of the artificial (solemn promises to the grieving hurt by...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com