Latest update August 20th, 2026 12:07 AM
Aug 15, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – CGX Energy has disclosed that it has recognised the loss US$56.4 million on its exploration and evaluation related to the Corentyne block asset, located offshore Guyana.
CGX is part of a joint venture (JV) partnership with Frontera Energy that was booted from the block by the Government of Guyana after failing to meet obligations. Earlier this year, the JV received a formal communication from the government stating that the Petroleum Prospecting Licence (PPL) and Petroleum Agreement had ended–a position the JV has repeatedly rejected.
On Wednesday in a statement, CGX announced the recognition of an impairment loss of US$56.4 million related to the Corentyne Block. The company said it evaluated the Corentyne exploration and evaluation asset’s recoverability as a result of the government’s conduct, communications, and “unwillingness” to recognise the JV rights during the consultation periods, which have since expired.
“Although all contractual requirements of the Company have been met and an external legal assessment determined that the Company’s interests in the licenses and agreements for the Corentyne Block remain valid, the GoG’s positions mentioned above have restricted the Company’s ability to develop activities under those licenses and agreements,” the company said.
To this end, it was explained that the situation has led to uncertainty regarding the asset’s future development and constituted an impairment indicator. Consequently, CGX said it recognised an impairment of US$56.4 million on the Corentyne Block asset.
Notably, after more than two decades of exploration, the JV finally struck oil at the Kawa-1 well in January 2022. Just ahead of the June 28, 2024 deadline for the block’s appraisal programme, the JV submitted a Notice of Potential Commercial Interest to government for the Wei-1 well, on June 26. The government later said stringent conditions would need to be met to retain the block. In March 2025, the government issued a 30-day notice and gave the oil companies a chance to make representations. Government was open to good-faith negotiations within the specified timeframe.
However, government eventually cut ties with the JV in relation to the Corentyne Block and said that it is of the view that there are no reasonable grounds to grant an extension to CGX and Frontera for their exploration and appraisal obligations.
Despite the government’s formal communication to the JV, they remain of the view that its interests in, and the licence for, the Corentyne Block remain in place and in good standing and that the Petroleum Agreement has not been terminated.
Frontera and CGX recently disclosed that the government, through its legal counsel, responded on July 23. In that communication, the government rejected the oil companies’ claims regarding the Corentyne Block and reaffirmed its position that the JV’s interest had expired on June 28, 2024. However, the JV said the government also stated that it “may consider a final meeting with the Investors, on a without prejudice basis, in October 2025, and the Joint Venture would be informed as to whether such a meeting will occur in September 2025.”
Moreover, CGX also announced on Wednesday that Dr. Suresh Narine has resigned from his positions as Executive Director, Guyana and Executive Co-Chairman of the Board of Directors of CGX and from his positions with the Company’s subsidiaries to pursue academic endeavours. The Company has initiated a search for a permanent Chief Executive Officer and will provide a further update when available.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 19, 2026
CPL – Keemo Paul delivered a superb all-round performance to inspire the Jamaica Kingsmen to their second consecutive win in the Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), as they defeated...Aug 19, 2026
Kaieteur News – Some persons have pounced upon an internal controversy within the Caribbean Court of Justice and the subsequent disclosure that the President of the Court, Justice Winston Anderson had become involved in trying to resolve Guyana’s long-running judicial impasse over the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) In over six years, 10 percent of Guyana’s stated oil reserves is gone. There’s confidence that Exxon will find more replacement oil. The company may have come across more proven reserves than it has been saying. But that’s for another day. It is a rather lonely figure that...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com