Latest update August 17th, 2026 10:20 AM
Sep 19, 2017 Court Stories, Features / Columnists, News
The two Lethem residents, who were charged last week Friday with conspiracy to facilitate the illegal landing of an aircraft suspected to be involved in trafficking in narcotics and firearms, were further remanded to prison
yesterday by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.
Nathan Hamilton, 21, of Lot 107 Beverley Hills Drive, Lethem and Wazim King, 37, also of Lethem were not required to plead to the indictable charge which alleged that between August 10 and August13, last, at Lethem, they conspired with Hutshan Ram Singh also known as Seon Singh, to facilitate the illegal landing of an aircraft suspected to be involved in trafficking in narcotics and firearm, in an unauthorised port of entry.
Hamilton and King, who are employees of Singh, were arraigned on Friday before Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman who remanded them to prison after refusing bail applications from Attorneys-at-Law Jerome Khan and Michael Sommersall who are representing the accused.
Magistrate Latchman transferred the matter to the Chief Magistrate for assignment.
Nevertheless, the Chief Magistrate ordered Hamilton and King to return to court on December 5, after transferring the matter to the Lethem Magistrate’s Court.
According to reports, the illegal aircraft, along with an illegal airstrip, was discovered about a month ago by police about 10 miles from Santa Fe.
Kaieteur News understands that the airstrip which was discovered previously was destroyed by the Guyana Defence Force (GDF). Hamilton and King were allegedly hired and paid to rehabilitate it.
It is believed that the plane, said to be a Brazilian-registered one, and the airstrip, were being used for illegal activities.
The plane has a similar registration number to an aircraft owned by a bank in neighbouring Brazil, but the authorities there have not indicated whether the registration number, PR-IMG, is authentic.
The plane has since been handed over to the army and police have reportedly seized the front-end loader.
Meanwhile, ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters, confiscated two passports belonging to a Colombian and a Brazilian that were found on the illegal Beechcraft twin-engine plane.
It is believed that the travel documents belong to two of the persons who managed to escape when police and others were closing in.
A quantity of dry rations, medical supplies, clothing, footwear, two hand-held radios, flashlights, and cellular phones were also found during initial inspection.
The International Police Organization (Interpol) is also assisting in the investigation.
President David Granger had travelled to Lethem days after the discovery of the illegal aircraft and airstrip. The President urged security officials to pull out all stops to ensure that the sovereignty of the country and its borders are protected since the matter is being treated as a national security issue.
Minister of State, Joseph Harmon had said that there is information which suggested there was some level of collusion between those linked to the aircraft and law enforcement officers stationed in the area.
While there are reports that a large amount of cash was offered to the ranks, the Minister said that a conclusion will only be made once the probe is completed.
Kaieteur News had previously reported that a senior police rank had been allegedly providing security for the illegal aircraft. He has since been transferred to another division while some other ranks have been placed at different police stations.
Reports are that after the plane landed, the senior police rank accompanied by other ranks went to the location to secure the landing. It is alleged that the senior police rank went into the aircraft and stole some monies. He reportedly shared a portion of the monies with a few of the other ranks.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 17, 2026
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – The Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Under-14 Boys made a commanding start to the 2026 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) U14 Challenge Series, securing a resounding 8...Aug 17, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – One of the persistent afflictions of post-colonial societies is the absence of planning commensurate with ambition. Governments announce grand projects, inaugurate grand buildings, make grand speeches and produce grand visions, but somewhere between the vision and the delivery...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 17, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – I have heard about a hanging judge. From readings, I know about travelling judges. There’s familiarity with governing judges better known as Administrative Law Judges. Thanks to the leader of the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), Mr. Aubrey Norton, I now have my...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com