Latest update May 20th, 2026 12:35 AM
Jan 05, 2017 News
The exhuming the body of 43-year-old Surujpaul Dindyal has been delayed due to the rainy season, according to police sources.
Kaieteur News was told that police ranks turned up at Le Repentir cemetery on Tuesday but the area where the body was buried was flooded.
“We already got the court order. Now we are waiting on the rain to stop because the area where the bodies were buried is flooded,” the source said.
He stressed that once the body is exhumed, they are hoping that the remains are clad in clothing which Dindyal’s relatives will be able to identify since it is more than likely, only the skeletal remains will be dug up.
“If the bodies are not clad in clothing then we will have to do DNA in order to identify the fisherman because he was buried with four other bodies,” the source said.
Asked about possible causing death charges for the driver who struck and killed the father of three, the police source said that once the correct body is identified, a post mortem examination (PM) will have to be done to determine the cause of death.
If the PM indicates that Dindyal died as a result of the accident, only then will the driver be charged for causing death.
The father of three of Melanie Damishana, East Coast Demerara (ECD) was killed in an accident on December 9, last, at Buxton.
He was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) as an unidentified body. The following day, Dindyal’s untagged remains was removed from a freezer at the mortuary and buried at Le Repentir cemetery, along with four other remains believed to be that of destitutes.
Two bodies were reportedly buried in one hole while three remains were buried in another.
It was some two weeks after the accident that the fisherman’s relatives were informed that he had been killed.
Initially, they thought that he had gone to sea but after days passed and he did not make contact with his family, a missing person report was made.
It was after a traffic cop saw Dindyal’s photograph on the news, that he contacted the man’s family and informed them of the accident.
On December 21, last, the dead man’s family along with the police went to the hospital mortuary but could not have located the body. They searched the other mortuaries around the city but still could not locate the remains.
It was two Wednesdays ago when they returned to GPHC that they were informed that the body was mistakenly handed over to the undertakers who buried the bodies of less fortunate on December 10, last, a day after the fisherman’s body was taken there.
The dead man’s sister, Annie Bharrat, said that her sibling died and left his three young children behind. “They are poor people. They have nothing, He was killed and now his three children are left behind.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 20, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – The Guyana Squash Association (GSA) wrapped up four days of exciting action featuring a number of top players who competed in the Diamond Independence Cup Squash Tournament...May 20, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – About fifteen years ago, the idea was floated that Guyana should establish a National School of Music. It was not a fanciful suggestion then, and it is even less so now. In fact, in today’s Guyana—poised between oil wealth and a rapidly expanding cultural footprint, it is...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 20, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – When President Ali talks about “sacred trust”, clearly, he is a leader floating in his own spaceship. Making matters worse, he now believes in his own fairytales. Incredibly, he expects others also to fall for his fables. REOs reshuffled; some sent...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com