Latest update May 20th, 2026 12:35 AM
May 20, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – Nearly one year since her tragic death, the family of 22-year-old Stacy Walton continues to grapple with the sting of her absence, and the apparent slothfulness of the judicial process.
Walton, a mother of one, lost her life under questionable circumstances on June 20, 2025. Her death was ruled as drowning, but investigators found discrepancies in the details presented by her boyfriend, Alfred Dejonge, 46.
He was charged with manslaughter at the Reliance Magistrate’s Court, and was granted bail in the sum of $1 million. The Coburg Street, New Amsterdam resident is represented by attorney Chandra Sohan.
Stacy, a young businesswoman, grew up in Angoy’s Avenue, New Amsterdam. At the time of her passing, she resided at Alexander Street in New Amsterdam, and operated a store at Pitt Street in the heart of the town.
Kaieteur News had reported previously that the parents of Stacy had been attending court on specified dates at the Berbice High Court, only to be frequently handed a new date at which to return. With her one-year death anniversary looming, her father, Raoul Walton, conveyed his disappointment at the dragging pace of the matter.
“Almost a year now, and this case ain’t moving the way it supposed to, because of the lack of many things, like the files not coming up right in court, and every time we getting a delay. Every time we go court, is a put off to a next date. Almost a year now and nothing properly ain’t doing,” the senior Walton told Kaieteur News on Tuesday.
Indeed, the case has been consistently pushed back on numerous occasions, as this publication has been keeping up to date with the matter, presided over by Magistrate Michelle Matthias.
Compounding the family’s grief is their financial inability to secure the services of a lawyer. They believe that legal representation could fast-track the protracted matter.
“This case really needs a lawyer to attend to it, to challenge this case the way it should go, because the way we see it going, it is very frustrating. And we’re glad if we can get some lawyer assistance to move this case forward in the right direction, for we as a family to receive justice for our child,” Stacy’s father explained.
He also appealed on behalf his family for any relevant assistance that can go towards acquiring sufficient funds to retain an attorney.
Last June, reports indicated that the vehicle Walton was driving on that Friday evening ended up in a trench along the No. 7 Public Road, East Coast Berbice, after she lost control of it. She was taken to the New Amsterdam Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
Dejonge had stated that he was in another car at a fair distance behind Stacy, and that he approached a scene of a car in a canal, which he observed to be that of Stacy. He altered his account to investigators subsequently, telling them that he was in the car with the now dead woman, and opted to remove narcotics from the car first before seeking to help the young woman from the vehicle as it toppled into the trench. He also had said that they had an argument.
With several dates thus far exhausted since being called on July 21, 2025 at the Berbice High Court in New Amsterdam, the family gears for another appearance on May 28, 2026 at the same court.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 20, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – The Guyana Squash Association (GSA) wrapped up four days of exciting action featuring a number of top players who competed in the Diamond Independence Cup Squash Tournament...May 20, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – About fifteen years ago, the idea was floated that Guyana should establish a National School of Music. It was not a fanciful suggestion then, and it is even less so now. In fact, in today’s Guyana—poised between oil wealth and a rapidly expanding cultural footprint, it is...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 20, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – When President Ali talks about “sacred trust”, clearly, he is a leader floating in his own spaceship. Making matters worse, he now believes in his own fairytales. Incredibly, he expects others also to fall for his fables. REOs reshuffled; some sent...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com