Latest update May 20th, 2026 12:35 AM
Dec 14, 2016 News
Minister of Business Dominic Gaskin was yesterday forced to explain in the National Assembly, the expenditure of $212 million, during 2016 that was allocated for the Industrial Estates at Lethem, Coldingen and Belvedere.
This occurred during the consideration of the 2017 estimates of revenue and expenditure within the Committee of Supply.
The issue came up as opposition member of Parliament Joseph Hamilton queried how much of the total sum was budgeted for the Lethem Industrial Estate and further, how much had been spent on the estate thus far.
Minister Gaskin informed the House that $160M was allocated to be spent on the Lethem estate, but only $22M was spent. However, he did say that that amount was a ball park figure, since he could not say exactly how much was specifically spent on the estate.
At that point, opposition Member of Parliament Juan Edghill told the House that based on Gaskin’s response, the figures presented in the estimates as expenditure for 2016 are not reliable, since they do not represent the total amount actually spent.
Gaskin, in responding, said that the figures represent a budget and they represent the latest revision of those figures at the end of a process where Ministries would have submitted final projections.
The Minister said that the $212M which is stated under the revised amount for 2016 is not the amount which is likely to be spent on the line item “Industrial Development”. As such, he was asked why the projected amount was given and not the $22M which was actually spent.
He said that the design works for the estate have already been completed and presently there is a contract at the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board for additional work to be done.
When that contract is awarded, he said, a final figure in terms of expenditure for the year can be given. He said that the contract is expected to be awarded before the end of this week. If so, there is likely to be a mobilisation fee paid to the contractor.
He was also asked to explain how the remainder of the $212M was expended. According to Gaskin, the other two estates which were catered for under the amount were Coldingen and Belvedere, at $20M and $33M respectively.
Regarding the two estates, Gaskin was asked whether any money was spent to facilitate works. The Business Minister told the House that a $29M contract was awarded, of which $14M is expected to be spent before the end of this year.
For 2017, the Ministry has allocated $287M to be spent on the three estates. Out of that amount, the construction of a bridge at Coldingen estate will cost $19,501,000; the construction of a fence, gate and fire hydrant at Belvedere – $23M and the development of the Lethem industrial estate, including a business incubator, $150M. Gaskin said that the total amount to facilitate works for the Lethem estate will cost $800M.
The complete management of these estates is expected to be taken over by the Business Ministry from the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) by year end.
The Ministry in its 2016 to 2020 Strategic Plan Final Report, highlighted that industrial estates typically are interesting for businesses, as they provide an attractive location which will allow fast, inexpensive and reliable transportation to the nearest hub, and infrastructure services, such as sewage, reliable electricity and internet.
Gaskin was asked how optimistic he was that the allocated $287M would be spent next year, when the Ministry failed to spend $212M in 2016. According to Gaskin, his Ministry is more informed now and will see to it that work is completed. He said that works had begun on the estate, but stopped when it was realised that the project was headed in an undesirable direction.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 20, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – The Guyana Squash Association (GSA) wrapped up four days of exciting action featuring a number of top players who competed in the Diamond Independence Cup Squash Tournament...May 20, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – About fifteen years ago, the idea was floated that Guyana should establish a National School of Music. It was not a fanciful suggestion then, and it is even less so now. In fact, in today’s Guyana—poised between oil wealth and a rapidly expanding cultural footprint, it is...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 20, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – When President Ali talks about “sacred trust”, clearly, he is a leader floating in his own spaceship. Making matters worse, he now believes in his own fairytales. Incredibly, he expects others also to fall for his fables. REOs reshuffled; some sent...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com