Latest update May 19th, 2026 12:35 AM
Jul 10, 2015 News
Managing Director of the Guyana Oil Company (GuyOil), Badrie Persaud, has reportedly been sent on leave, effective today, amidst a shakeup at that state-owned entity.
Government sources confirmed that Persaud, a candidate for the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) will be proceeding on about seven months’ leave that he had accrued.
GuyOil has been under scrutiny for weeks now, after Government reportedly unearthed a scam where persons not working with the ministries and state agencies, were collecting gas from the entity’s service stations.
Minister of State Joseph Harmon had revealed that investigators had vehicle numbers and names of persons involved. He said that there was a window of opportunity for them to pay the bill at GuyOil or the matter would be handed over to the police for its attention.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment, Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Public Security were the ones presented with invoices for the gas taken.
Some of the persons taking gas reportedly even went with containers.
Investigators were also said to be looking into a number of suspicious transactions at GuyOil.
According to Government sources, there was evidence that one senior staffer owned trucks contracted to transport fuel for GuyOil.
There are also emerging indications that there was a scam where GuyOil officials were accused of selling fuel to preferred customers, and buying it back at a higher price when supplies ran low.
GuyOil had that advantage as it sells the cheapest fuel in the country.
Persaud is a member of the Public Utilities Commission, and was a former member of the Guyana Sugar Corporation’s Board of Directors, who were sacked last month.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.