As police are continuing their investigation into the death of labourer Inshan Ally, the two men who were detained remain in custody as the lawmen await the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
This newspaper has been informed that the men are expected to be released sometime later today as there is not sufficient incriminating evidence to institute a murder charge.
A post mortem examination had revealed that Ally died as a result of asphyxiation due to drowning and blunt trauma to the head.
However sources close to the investigation are yet to determine whether the blunt trauma to the head was as a result of the man plunging into the canal or it was inflicted by someone.
Initially residents of the area said that they were told that persons had seen a group of men beating Ally. However from all reports that bit of information is proving to be difficult for the police to establish since no eyewitness has come forward.
Ally was last seen alive on Wednesday of last week.
On Friday around 06:45 his swollen body was pulled from a canal not far from where he lived.