Latest update May 17th, 2026 12:50 AM
Jun 30, 2009 Sports
Guyana out of CAC Seniors
By Edison Jefford
Aliann Pompey recovered well from her Caribbean Games disappointment to post a time that is consistent with other performances this season on her way to winning the 400m at the Tilastopaja Oy meet in Bulgaria on Saturday.
The Guyanese international athlete and three-time Olympian ran 51.31 seconds ahead of Ukraine’s Nataliya Pyhyda (51.38) and Russia’s Kseniya Zadorina (51.61) before moving on to Cork, Ireland for her next competition.
Pompey had previously expressed disappointment over the cancellation of the Caribbean Games, which, she said, would have provided an opportunity to bond with the other local athletes that were selected for the event.
The national record holder and 2002 Commonwealth Games’ gold medallist ran 51.45 at the Rio Grand Prix in May that erased her 51.58 record in 2004. The time was the ninth fastest time in the world this season.
She returned two weeks later at her third meet in Brazil in the same month to clock 51.09 seconds behind Jamaica’s Olympian, Bobby-Gaye Wilkins’ 50.91. Her 51.09 kept her in the top ten leading times over the distance.
Pompey told Kaieteur Sport yesterday that the time difference and a month off competing affected her performance in Bulgaria, whose capital, Sofia, is approximately seven hours ahead of Pompey’s residence in New York.
Though satisfied with her performance because it was consistent with her other times this season, the athlete wanted a faster race. She had told this newspaper earlier this year that her aim is to continue improving with every race.
“I had trouble adjusting to the time difference, and I think that played a small part. It has been over a month since my last race, which may have also played a very minor role. My next race is Saturday in Ireland,” she informed.
“I received news that there are talks about the team that was supposed to go to Caribbean Games possibly going to CAC [the Central American and Caribbean Championships] instead. I think that’s a great alternative,” she opined.
Indeed, it would have been a great substitute, but President of the Athletics Association of Guyana, Colin Boyce told Kaieteur Sport when contacted yesterday that Guyana will not be represented at CAC because of lack of funding.
“We will not be sending anyone to Cuba because we don’t have money to send anyone. It would have taken US$1,300 for each athlete to go to Cuba through the United States,” the athletics association head indicated.
The CAC Senior Championships is slated for this weekend in Cuba.
The national team’s absence marks Guyana’s second withdrawal following the non-participation at the CAC Age Group Competition in the Bahamas.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.