Latest update August 4th, 2026 12:30 AM
Jul 27, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – The Ministry of Education has retendered for the construction of the Orealla Secondary School in Region Six, nearly a year after the original contract for the project was terminated over delays.
According to a tender opening dated July 16, 2026, published by the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB), the project now carries an estimated cost of $207,221,200, about $8.3 million more than the $198,866,010 figure the ministry announced when the project was first awarded.
This is the second time the ministry has tendered the project. The first attempt collapsed after the initial contract was terminated in August 2025; a subsequent tender opened at NPTAB on December 30, 2025, in which the project was split into four lots, drew bids from only four contractors: Chavi Construction, Taylor’s Construction and Transport, Ali’s Construction and Maintenance Services, and M&M and Daughters Grocery.

Former Minister of Education, Priya Manickchand (center) and the contractor among other officials turning the sod for the construction of the new Orealla Secondary School in September 2024.
This time around, the project has attracted 16 contractors: Detroy Construction Services – $ 192,937,400; R.P Enterprise – $265,962,485; Tejmohall Enterprise –
$ 217,465,600; Zubair Contracting – $ 240,677,352; New Guyana Construction – $ 199,260,406; A.D.I Construction – $ 217,000,000; Rajesh Sahadeo Contracting – $ 183,042,050; Ali’s Construction & Maintenance Services – $ 216,900,200; Chavi Construction – $ 176,737,300; K R Enterprise – $ 238,395,450; Danny’s Enterprise – $ 189,609,240; Amaya Taro Construction – $ 213,162,300; Lakhram Singh Contracting Services – $ 173,577,850; M&M & Daughters Grocery – $ 187,293,900; Taylor’s Construction & Transport – $ 189,783,900; and Triple ‘A’ Construction Enterprise – $ 203,515,700.
The Orealla Secondary School project dates back to September 2024, when the Education Ministry held a sod-turning ceremony attended by then Education Minister Priya Manickchand. The contract was awarded to 4S Security & Building Enterprise for $198,866,010, with CEMCO Incorporated engaged to supervise the works. At the time, the ministry said the contractor had already received a mobilisation payment of $59,659,803 and that the project was expected to be completed within six months.
That timeline was not met. Toshao of Orealla Village, Laurence Vandenburgh, told this publication in January that the contract was terminated in August 2025 after the contractor missed an August 15 deadline set to have the school ready before the start of the new school year. “Last year in August before the new school year started, they had a deadline for the 15th of August to complete everything, however, the contractor didn’t reach the deadline and they decide to terminate it,” he said.
Vandenburgh said the original contractor did make some progress before the termination, erecting three buildings, one of which already has its roof installed.
Once completed, the Orealla Secondary School is expected to feature six modern classrooms, four specialised laboratories and a well-equipped library, serving approximately 180 students from Orealla and the neighbouring Siparuta area.
For residents of the riverain community, the school is expected to remove the need for students to travel to the coast for secondary education, easing the financial burden on parents who previously had to cover accommodation and related costs for children studying away from home.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!
Aug 04, 2026
Cricinfo – Pakistan’s batters finally came to life in this Test series, imposing their authority on this second Test. An unbeaten 168-run partnership between Babar Azam and Abdullah...Aug 04, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There is an old saying that a leopard cannot change its spots. In Guyana, we have improved upon this principle. Our political leopard does not merely retain its spots; it carries them into parliament, polishes them, frames them, hangs them on the wall and then attempts to...Aug 02, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Daniel Ortega has now said openly what his regime has demonstrated for years: the people of Nicaragua are not to be permitted to remove their rulers through elections. During celebrations marking the 47th anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution, Ortega...Jul 30, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – A tragedy of catastrophic proportions is now Guyana’s to manage. An old passenger ferry boat went to the bottom. According to news reports of Saturday, 73 bodies have been recovered and 76 rescued. Taking the official count of 179 passengers on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com