Latest update May 19th, 2026 12:35 AM
Sep 06, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – Former Minister of Finance, Winston Jordan has suggested that the Leader of the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) and presidential candidate for the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), Aubrey Norton step down.
Jordan’s comment comes on the heels of the 2025 General and Regional Elections results which show APNU was defeated, particularly in its two strongholds: Districts Four and 10. The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) earlier this week published Statements of Poll (SOPs) for all ten districts, which shows that the incumbent Peoples Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) is set to secure a second term. The data also revealed that 315,140 of the 757,690 eligible electors did not participate in this year’s election.
APNU has requested a recount of certain districts, and this is currently ongoing at GECOM headquarters in Georgetown. Norton has argued that it is highly “implausible” his party would suffer such drastic losses in Regions Four and 10.
During an appearance on KAMS TV’s Guyana Morning Time on Friday, Jordan commended Norton’s efforts but said he must take responsibility for the outcome.
“Aubrey, you did the hard work… It was needed. The under pushing was needed…you did the hard work, you took a lot of flock for it and signs of rebirth were seen in the rallies and so on [but] people didn’t turn up for the elections, again I said this was a setback,” Jordan said.
“However, we look at it, the party has been brought to its lowest ebb and you were at the helm when the party was brought to its lowest ebb,” Jordan.
He said that when the dust is settled and the swearing in is completed; Norton should make way for new talent to come forward and lead the party. He said in the interest of this pursuit, Norton should decide off his own not to return to parliament. Jordan suggested APNU’s parliamentary leadership be entrusted to Nima Flue-Bess or Vinceroy Jordan.
“Aubrey, you can remain leader of the list, until Congress next year, where you must commit not to run for leadership. Let this be early in your introspection over the next few days, that you will not be running for leadership again, come next year. So that other talent can begin to formalize their running and so on into the Congress,” he said.
Jordan added that Norton should transition into an elder role, giving advice without overshadowing new leadership. “Don’t go back into parliament and don’t contest next year’s leadership, let this thing flow through and be part of the molding and so on…” Jordan stated.
However, PNCR’s General Secretary (GS) Sherwin Benjamin dismissed Jordan’s call, describing it as premature and unwarranted at this stage.
“The election process is still ongoing, and it is important to allow it to run its course without undue interference. Making such statements before the conclusion of the electoral process is not only irresponsible but reckless,” Benjamin said.
He explained that even if the party does not secure the desired outcomes in these elections, it should not be viewed as an indictment of the incumbent leader, given the various factors that influence electoral results.
The GS outlined that leadership stability and continuity are vital for the party’s progress, and premature calls for resignation only serve to deepen internal divisions and fuel unnecessary emotions among members.
Benjamin added, “While it is true that the party is evolving and undergoing a process of reshaping, comments like those from Mr. Jordan are absolutely counterproductive, of no intrinsic value and threaten to exacerbate internal rifts. Such ludicrous remarks must be strongly condemned, as they do not contribute to any immediate constructive dialogue or the stability required to strengthen the party moving forward.”
Meanwhile, the PNCR Youth Arm on Friday issued a statement calling for renewal of the party’s leadership. They said the 2025 results make it clear that the coalition must confront reality and act boldly, or risk losing future elections and the confidence of the people.
“Leadership must step aside and allow for the process of realignment. Renewal at the top is not a rejection of our history, it is the only path to rebuild trust, unite our base and restore the coalition’s relevance. The PNCR, and by extension APNU, must regroup, reset and rise again with vision, courage and purpose,” the PNCR youths stated.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 19, 2026
Guyana’s 60TH Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports Kaieteur Sports – Guyana’s 60th Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports programme kicked off in the past week with four disciplines and three...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The debate over Article 13 of Guyana’s Constitution is not simply about words. It is about political power, who controls the state, and whether ordinary people truly have authority in national decision-making. The defenders of “inclusionary democracy” present it as a...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Pres. Ali and the PPP Gov’t celebrates jobs, jobs, jobs. Question One: who’s doing them? Sure, there are more jobs. Question Two: what kind of jobs? Since the people to do high-level, top-quality jobs aren’t here. They keep running away. When only Haiti did worse than...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com