Investigators are hoping that a mobile phone which was left near the body of a man who was found with gunshots to the head and body on Saturday night at Eccles East Bank Demerara, will yield clues about the victim and his killers.
A police official told Kaieteur News yesterday that investigators were going through a series of text messages in the victim’s phone.
Kaieteur News was also told that investigators also hope that relatives would try to make contact with the victim on the phone. This newspaper understands that the still-unidentified man was shot once in the head and twice to the chest.
While residents in the area yesterday denied hearing any gunshots, several other neighbours said they saw a heavily tinted car speeding away from the scene where the body was found.
The still unidentified man34
The body is at the Lyken Funeral Parlour, but up to late last night no one had come forward to identify the victim.
On Saturday evening, staff from a security service found the body of a man dressed in denim coat and pants lying face down on the access road behind the Eccles Industrial Site.
This newspaper understands that the man was identified only as “Charles”.
Police on the scene had initially believed that it was hit and run accident because of bruises to his hands and blood in his face.
Emergency workers who arrived with the ambulance found what appeared to be a bullet wound to his chest. At the time, persons in the area reported hearing several gunshots but could not say from whence they came.
Earlier this month, footballer Orvin Millington nicknamed ‘Champo’, 30, of Lot WW7 North East La Penitence, was shot and killed execution-style. Millington was playing card games with friends, in Curtis Street, Albouystown, when it happened.
Police reported that, about 00:50 hrs, Millington was in a Curtis Street, Albouystown yard, when a man approached and discharged a round, hitting him to his body and then escaped.
His killer has not been identified.