Latest update August 18th, 2026 10:27 AM
Jul 19, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – A Roraima Airways search aircraft detected three SOS distress flares and an emergency beacon signal during an overnight search for the capsized MV Barima, information that was immediately relayed to rescue authorities to help direct search-and-rescue assets to the scene.
The disclosure was made by Captain Gerald Gouveia, Managing Director of Roraima Airways, in an update on the company’s role in the emergency operation early Sunday.
According to Gouveia, Roraima Airways launched its search-and-rescue mission in the early hours of Sunday after the ferry, carrying approximately 200 passengers, was reported overdue.
He said that at 1:36 a.m., the airline’s BN-2B Islander aircraft (8R-GRC), piloted by Captain Gerald Gouveia Jr. and Captain Learie Barclay, departed the Eugene F. Correia International Airport and arrived over the search area about 20 minutes later.
“During the search, the crew observed three SOS distress flares and detected an emergency beacon signal in the same vicinity,” Gouveia said, noting that the information was immediately transmitted to the Search and Rescue Coordination authorities, enabling rescue assets to converge on the area.
The aircraft completed its assigned mission and landed safely at Ogle at 2:41 a.m.
Gouveia praised the professionalism and swift response of the Roraima Airways flight crew and support staff, who mobilised immediately after receiving the call for assistance.
He also commended the Guyana Defence Force Air Corps, Guyana Coast Guard, Maritime Administration Department, Guyana Civil Aviation Authority, emergency responders and civilian volunteers who joined the operation.
“Search and rescue operations are among the finest examples of national teamwork. In moments of crisis, institutional boundaries disappear, and the shared objective is simple: to save lives,” Gouveia said.
The massive rescue effort continues as authorities race to account for all passengers and crew of the ill-fated MV Barima, which capsized near Iron Punt off the Pomeroon River late Saturday night.
In a statement issued early Sunday, the Office of the Prime Minister said the Government has deployed all necessary State and private-sector assets as a full-scale search-and-rescue operation continues.
The statement said the vessel’s crew transmitted distress signals late Saturday night, triggering the immediate activation of emergency response mechanisms. Rescue operations remained ongoing into Sunday morning, with Prime Minister, Mark Phillips who is performing the functions of the President receiving continuous updates from response teams.
“The Government’s immediate priority remains the safety and rescue of every passenger and every crew member,” the statement said, adding that further verified information will be released as the operation progresses.
Earlier, Public Works Minister Juan Edghill confirmed that eight persons had been rescued alive.
Edghill said the MV Barima, which operates the Georgetown–North West District route, departed Georgetown at approximately 3:15 p.m. on Saturday bound for Port Kaituma. At around 11:00 p.m., Timehri Air Traffic Control Towers received a distress signal from the vessel, prompting an immediate emergency response.
The Minister also disclosed that the vessel was carrying more than 200 life jackets, raising hopes that additional passengers may yet be found.
The sinking has triggered one of the country’s largest maritime rescue operations in recent years, with emergency responders continuing the race against time to account for all those aboard.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 18, 2026
Cricinfo – Barbados Tridents’ six-hitting prowess and five wickets between Gudakesh Motie and Mujeeb Ur Rahman helped them clinch the rain-hit game against St Lucia Kings in Gros Islet,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The local government system, and the regional administration that is supposed to support are not equipped to deal with the mandate that they are supposed to have. They do not possess the money, the machinery, or the authority to mobilise the resources required to remove the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – “Unusual peak.” In electricity demand. Hon. Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, was unusually clear with a warning to expect blackouts. Appreciate the candor, minister. The Wales Gas-to-Energy, the much-advertised solution, is closing in fast on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com