Latest update August 18th, 2026 10:27 AM
Aug 18, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is still reviewing an application made by Canada-based U92 Energy Corp. for its uranium project in Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).
This was confirmed by Executive Director of EPA Dr. Kemraj Parsram on Monday. He said, “Yes we received an application and we are reviewing…the process is not completed as yet…”
Dr. Parsram’s confirmation follows a recent statement made by U92 Energy that it anticipates receiving EPA approval this month, so it can commence phase one of its planned drill programme at the Kurupung Uranium Project.
The company disclosed in April that it submitted an environmental application to the EPA for phase one of its drill programme. In an update this month, U92 said it had subsequent correspondence with EPA and has submitted an Environmental Management Plan as requested by the agency.
Against this backdrop, the company said it has determined to proceed with completing the site infrastructure as it anticipates that the phase one drill programme will commence during the month of August, 2026 following receipt of the EPA’s approval of the environmental management plan.
However, Dr. Parsram underscored that EPA is the competent authority that decides “if and when” an authorisation is granted in accordance with the EPA Act. He further stated, “No environmental authorisation has been granted as yet.”
The Kurupung Uranium Project spans approximately 92.2 square kilometres and carries a historical resource estimate of 20.6 million pounds of uranium. Kaieteur News reported that U92 Energy acquired the project early 2026, through the acquisition of LIA Industries Pte. Ltd., a Singaporean firm.
Since taking control of the asset, U92 finalised a commercial agreement with Orbit Garant for phase one 5,000 metre diamond drill programme. The diamond drill rig assigned to U92 arrived earlier this year and now awaits approval to commence phase one drilling on high-priority targets at the project.

Map showing the location of the boundary of the two PLs that constitute the Project shown on a digital elevation model of topography.
In addition, U92 has already sourced key machineries to support access road upgrades and drill pad construction. The company also acquired the project’s historical technical and exploration dataset through a US$352,500 deal.
This publication reported that LIA Industries local subsidiary, LIA (Guyana) Inc. was incorporated in Guyana on 20th March, 2023, and holds exclusive rights to occupy and explore the property under two Prospecting Licenses (PLs) issued by the Guyana Geology & Mines Commission (GGMC) on 19th April, 2024.
The licences permit exploration of uranium, other radioactive minerals, and rare earth elements for three years, ending 18th April, 2027, with an option to extend for up to two additional one-year periods through 18th April, 2029.
Notably, U92 has described Kurupung as a project with a significant historical resource and a clear path to expansion, positioning it to meet growing global demand for nuclear energy as countries look to uranium as a low-carbon power source. While U92 Energy has been advancing plans to begin drilling at the uranium project, there has been mounting concerns over the proposed project from civil society and politicians.
The Amerindian Peoples Association (APA), as well as Region Seven Vice-Chairman Alden Marslowe, has called for consultations and urged the government and the EPA to halt the project. The APA cited the absence of public and community-level consultations, as well as a lack of information about the project. Meanwhile, former EPA Executive Director Dr. Vincent Adams had warned that Guyana currently lacks the regulatory and technical capacity needed to safely oversee uranium mining.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 18, 2026
Cricinfo – Barbados Tridents’ six-hitting prowess and five wickets between Gudakesh Motie and Mujeeb Ur Rahman helped them clinch the rain-hit game against St Lucia Kings in Gros Islet,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The local government system, and the regional administration that is supposed to support are not equipped to deal with the mandate that they are supposed to have. They do not possess the money, the machinery, or the authority to mobilise the resources required to remove the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – “Unusual peak.” In electricity demand. Hon. Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, was unusually clear with a warning to expect blackouts. Appreciate the candor, minister. The Wales Gas-to-Energy, the much-advertised solution, is closing in fast on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com