Latest update May 23rd, 2026 5:48 AM
Jan 05, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – A three-story building in New Amsterdam, Berbice that was previously used by the Ministry of Labor, was completely flattened by fire Saturday evening.
The building also housed offices for the Ministry of Human Services and Social Security, as well as the Ministry of Agriculture, for access to those services in Region Six, East Berbice-Corentyne.
Fire officials in New Amsterdam reportedly received a call just after 9:00pm informing them of a building being on fire at Princess Elizabeth Road, New Amsterdam.
Firemen from the New Amsterdam Fire Service rushed to the scene, but by the time they arrived, the entire building was already engulfed. They did manage, however, to contain the blaze with the two units that were present.
As such, no adjoining buildings were affected, nor any reports of injuries made.
Divisional officer, Clive McDonald disclosed that based on initial assessment, the fire was electrical in origin.
Meanwhile, one security guard stationed at a nearby residence, told this publication that the building is generally unoccupied, and recently became a nesting place for vagrants. He stated that on many evenings he would observe several persons entering and exiting the former government facility, which was said to be unguarded.
Another security guard, he divulged, would unofficially keep check on the building. The lights are also usually off.
Owing to this, the security guard, who opted for anonymity, holds the view that the fire was an act of negligence or mischief on the part of those unauthorised individuals frequenting the former government facility.
Several months ago, staff of the various ministries grouped there were relocated to a new location, and the building remained unused.
Meanwhile, labour ministry in a release Sunday said the incident is most unfortunate, but was thankful no injuries were reported.
The ministry said while it regretted the damage to property, operations in New Amsterdam have been relocated to 228 Vryman Erven, since February 2025.
“The ministry also wishes to confirm reports that the affected building has not
housed or facilitated any of its regional services to citizens since that date. The public is hereby reassured that all services remain uninterrupted and continue to be available at the current Vryman Erven edifice.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 23, 2026
Top individual honours following dominant 2026 Windies C’ship… By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – New West Indies Regional 4-Day champions TT Red Force not only claimed this season’s title...May 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There are people who dream about falling. Others dream about showing up to school late. I once dreamt that I was being chased through Bourda Market by a giant tax return. But nothing prepared me for the dream I had recently about the proposed Development Bank — a bank so...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Say it is not so, Mr. President! No way, Excellency Ali! Can’t be! Not in this Guyana, Pres Ali. Nevah, nevah, in oil rich Guyana, Master Governor Ali. Guyanese buying one tennis roll on credit? Not one bag, BUT ONE TENNIS ROLL. And a glob/dab of nut...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com