Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Nov 04, 2025 News
(Kaieteur News) – Heavy winds and intense rainfall hammered the Lima Housing Scheme, Essequibo Coast on Monday morning, tearing through the community and leaving destruction in its wake.

Houses at Lima Housing Scheme in Region Two which were destroyed by heavy rainfall and wind on Monday morning. (Photo courtesy, Morvin Persaud/Facebook)
Around 08:00 hrs, a sudden violent storm ripped the roofs from homes and caused one structure to collapse entirely, according to reports from Region Two officials.
According to reports from the Regional Chairman of Region Two, Devin Mohan, the incident occurred around 08:00hrs on Monday, destroying about six homes and leaving over 20 persons affected.
“This morning around 8 o’clock we had a storm and it ripped off the roof of several houses. Myself, and regional officials we were on the ground assisting families, we had the enhancement team and we are currently working with the residents to restore them back to normalcy,” he told this publication.

Regional Chairman, Devin Mohan and Vice Chairman Humace Oodit at Lima assessing the damages. (Photo courtesy, Raj Narayan/ Facebook)
When asked if there was any report of injuries, the Regional Chairman said there was one case but the hospital dealt with it promptly. He added that while they are working to restore all the residents to normalcy, they have since made arrangements for accommodation for those families whose homes were severely damaged.
Images and videos of the aftermath seen by this newspaper showed homes partially destroyed with their zinc sheets roof blown off while at least one house collapsed as a result of the storm.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com