Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Sep 23, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – The Guyana Police Force (GPF) has launched an investigation into the alleged larceny of $5 million from the Accounts Department of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM).
Several employees from the department are currently being questioned in connection with the missing funds.
Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum confirmed the investigation to Kaieteur News, stating, “several GECOM employees are assisting the police in relation to a report of simple larceny involving the sum of approximately $5 million Guyana currency, property of GECOM.”
GECOM’s Public Relations Officer, Yolanda Ward, also acknowledged the incident. While declining to provide specific details, she confirmed that the Commission is addressing the matter. “I will not speak on the issue. I can only say that there is an internal investigation, and once it is completed, we will issue a statement,” Ward said.
Kaieteur News understands that the cash was discovered missing over the weekend, prompting the immediate involvement of the police in the matter. The matter gained public attention after the newly formed We Invest in Nationhood (WIN) party claimed on Monday that GECOM was experiencing financial irregularities. According to WIN, their sources alleged that more than $50 million was unaccounted for and that several staff members had been arrested. However, police have so far confirmed the missing amount to be $5 million.
The revelation has placed GECOM under public scrutiny, especially coming just weeks after the conclusion of the September 1 General and Regional Elections. In preparation for the elections, GECOM had hired temporary staff to work on polling day. Kaieteur News spoke with one such worker, who confirmed that payments were scheduled for September 17. Those who could not collect their payments on that day were told they could do so this week.
Unfortunately, due to the ongoing investigation and the discovery of the missing funds, temporary staff members have not yet received their payments.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com