Latest update August 18th, 2026 10:27 AM
Aug 15, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Thursday disclosed that the Donald Trump-administration will confront the drug trafficking in the Western Hemisphere and any other threats to America’s national security. He also hinted at protection of US oil companies operating in the region, citing the recent case where a Venezuelan military ship confronted workers on one of ExxonMobil’s FPSO.
In a video shared on the U.S. Department of State’s Facebook page, Secretary Rubio stated that there are designated narco-terrorist groups operating in the region. He noted that some have been utilising international airspace and waters to transit drugs that he labeled as “poison” into the United States.
“Those groups will be confronted. The president has made that clear from the time he had operated and specifically, the question was about the Cartel of the Suns, Cartel de los Soles, which is a criminal organisation that happens to masquerade as a government,” he said.
Secretary Rubio added, “The [Nicolas] Maduro regime is not a government, it’s not a legitimate government, we have never recognised them as such. They are a criminal enterprise that basically has taken control of national territory of a country and who by the way are also threatening US oil companies that are operating lawfully in Guyana.”
Rubio noted that President Trump has been clear, that “anything that’s a threat to the national security of the Unites States, he’s gonna confront.”
Notably, American oil giant ExxonMobil is the operator of Guyana’s Stabroek Block which is estimated to hold 11.6 billion barrels of oil equivalent. Exxon controls 45% of the block, while Hess, another American oil company controls 30%. The third partner is CNOOC with 25% shares.
Back in March 1, 2025, at approximately 07:00 hours, a Venezuelan armed vessel entered Guyana’s waters and approached the FPSO Prosperity, which operates in the oil-rich Stabroek Block. The Venezuelan vessel radioed the FPSO, claiming it was operating in “disputed international waters” before continuing toward other FPSOs in the block.
Notably, Guyana and Venezuela have a case pending before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) over Venezuela’s claim to Guyana’s Essequibo region – which makes up two-third of Guyana’s territory and is a resource rich area. Moreover, Reuters reported that the United States has ordered the deployment of air and naval forces to the southern Caribbean Sea to address threats from Latin American drug cartels, three sources briefed on the decision told Reuters on Thursday.
President Donald Trump has wanted to use the military to go after Latin American drug gangs that have been designated as global terrorist organisations. The Pentagon had been directed to prepare options.
One U.S. official, who was speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the additional commitment of military assets would include several P-8 spy planes, at least one warship and at least one attack submarine. The official said the process would be ongoing for several months and the plan was for them to operate in international airspace and international waters. The naval assets can be used to not just carry out intelligence and surveillance operations, but also as a launching pad for targeted strikes if a decision is made, the official added. Trump has made cracking down on drug cartels a central goal of his administration, part of a wider effort to limit migration and secure the U.S. southern border.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 18, 2026
Cricinfo – Barbados Tridents’ six-hitting prowess and five wickets between Gudakesh Motie and Mujeeb Ur Rahman helped them clinch the rain-hit game against St Lucia Kings in Gros Islet,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The local government system, and the regional administration that is supposed to support are not equipped to deal with the mandate that they are supposed to have. They do not possess the money, the machinery, or the authority to mobilise the resources required to remove the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – “Unusual peak.” In electricity demand. Hon. Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, was unusually clear with a warning to expect blackouts. Appreciate the candor, minister. The Wales Gas-to-Energy, the much-advertised solution, is closing in fast on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com