Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Aug 07, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – A Venezuelan man has been arrested for allegedly killing his workmate- another Venezuelan national on Monday at Ruby, East Bank Essequibo.
The dead man has been identified as William Jaris, 25 of Greenwich Park, East Bank Essequibo (EBE). The man who is accused of killing him has been identified as a 33-year-old labourer of Ruby Backdam, EBE. Police said that the stabbing death took place around 17:00hrs. on Monday.
Investigators learnt that the suspect and the victim began arguing in the vicinity of “Ruby Bridge Area”
Jaris reportedly left on a bicycle but returned shortly after in the company of another Venezuelan man to collect something from a nearby shop. The suspect was reportedly sitting inside the same shop with some friends. Upon seeing Jaris he decided to approach him again. For a second time the men ended up in an argument. Police said that Jaris walked away and went a short distance away but the suspect followed him. This time things escalated into violence. They began fighting. Eyewitnesses recalled seeing the suspect with a knife in his hand during the fight.
Shortly after blood was seen oozing from Jaris’ body. The suspect then fled the scene on a bicycle and Jaris collapsed to the ground. He was reportedly rushed to the Leonora Cottage Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. His body was examined and according to police it bore three stab wounds- one to the right of his chest, another in the right jaw and a third on the left arm. The suspect was later nabbed by police.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com