Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Jul 04, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo stated on Thursday that the Government of Guyana (GoG) is aware of a split between the joint venture involving CH4 and Lindsayca, the two companies hired for the Gas-to-Energy (GTE) project.
The GTE project, located in Wales on the West Bank of Demerara, includes a Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) facility and a 300-megawatt power plant. Natural gas will be transported from the offshore Stabroek Blocks Liza oilfield via a 12-inch pipeline to the site, where 50 million cubic feet of gas will be converted to electricity daily.
Back in 2022, government hired CH4 (Texas) and Lindsayca (Puerto Rico) for the construction of the power plant and NGL facility at a cost of US$759 million.
At his press conference, the Vice President said, in relation to the concerns raised about the partners parting ways, “We’ve been hearing about the breakup of the consortium, and we’re told that this is to facilitate- because they have internal disputes- to facilitate the completion of the project by that deadline.”
He outlined that the split would allow the companies to accelerate work due to “internal wrangling” that had affected the pace of implementation of the project. “So I’m told that it’s a positive thing that is happening, but the technical people have to examine that,” Jagdeo added.
Earlier this week, Stabroek News reported that according to sources, the partners are expected to part ways, noting that this raises further questions about the progress of the most expensive public sector project in the country’s history.
Notably, Jagdeo stated that the timeline for the project remains the same; mid-2026. The GTE project was initially slated for completion by the end of 2025. Then, in February, Head of the GTE Taskforce, Winston Brassington, said that a more realistic target would be the first half of 2026. However, a few months ago, Prime Minister (Retd) Brigadier Mark Phillips estimated that the project would be completed in the second quarter of 2026. The government has promised to slash electricity bills by 50% through the US$2 billion project.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com