Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Apr 04, 2025 News
Kaieteur News- Two more parents have filed lawsuits against the Government for their children who died in the horrific school dormitory fire at Mahdia, Region Eight.
Last month, ten parents filed an almost identical claim against the State, claiming billions for the loss of lives.
In their claim, the parents, Delphia Elda Toney and Onica Felicia Edwin, stated that the deceased children, Eulanda Luciannie Toney and Omefia Felicia Edwin, lost their lives tragically in the Mahdia School Dormitory on May 22, 2023.
The parents are asking the Court to grant a declaration for ordinary damages of at least $500 million for each child who perished in the incident. The claimants also want aggravated damages in excess of $500 million for each child, in light of the emotional and psychological distress caused by the actions and omissions of the State of Guyana.
They are also seeking exemplary damages in excess of $500 million for each child, in order to deter the respondent from engaging in such reckless, negligent, and inhumane conduct in the future.
The lawsuit, filed by attorney Darren Wade, stated that the parents are suing for inter alia, loss of life, distress, and negligence.
According to documents, the claimants are seeking declarations from the Court that the confinement of the now dead students behind locked grills, with the doors and windows padlocked from within, constitutes torture, inhumane and degrading punishment, and a violation of fundamental human rights under Article 141 of the Guyana Constitution; a breach of their fundamental rights and liberty, specifically the freedom of movement.
At the time of their deaths, the children were under the care, custody, and control of the State of Guyana at the student dormitory at the Mahdia Secondary School, located in Mahdia, Region #8.
According to the claim, the State of Guyana had a duty to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the children and all other occupants in the dormitory. The dormitory was locked from the inside, heavily grilled and padlocked with no emergency exit, preventing the students from escaping.
The claimants explained that the State had a positive duty to ensure that all persons under its care and custody were in a safe and protected environment. “The State breached this duty by failing to implement proper safety measures, including: fire extinguishers and sprinklers and fire sand buckets,” the document stated.
Additionally, the claimants noted that the State breached its duty by failing to provide adequate security, access control, and an evacuation plan for the dormitory.
“The dormitory further lacked proper ventilation, with doors padlocked and windows grilled, which exacerbated the danger during the fire. The authorities responsible failed in their duty to ensure that the dormitory had properly trained and adequately staffed personnel to supervise the students,” the document added.
According to the lawsuit, the direct and foreseeable consequence of the State’s failure to uphold its duty of care was that barriers trapped the students inside the burning dormitory, leading to tragic and avoidable deaths.
“The failure,” it said, “was to ensure proper fire safety mechanisms, including accessible exits, which directly resulted in the loss of the children’s lives due to smoke inhalation and burns”
The distraught parents of the deceased children met with the Attorney General Anil Nandlall in Mahdia, Region 8, Upper Takatu Upper Essequibo. At that time, the tragedy was recent, and they were still in deep grief.
According to the document, despite this, they were encouraged by the Attorney General to sign the agreement with the indication that it was part of several initiatives that the Government was offering to them. However, they said that the purported agreement has no legal effect on the estate of the deceased, as they lacked the necessary authority to enter into such an agreement.
(More parents of Mahdia dorm fire victims sue State)
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 22, 2026
…cricket legend says Guyana was a ‘No-Brainer’ for 519 expansion By Rawle Toney Kaieteur Sports – West Indies fast-bowling legend Courtney Walsh has taken another major step in life after...May 22, 2026
Peeping Tom… (Kaieteur News) – Every day, thousands of people in Guyana stand by the roadside, waiting for public transportation. They have one question on their minds: “How much will it cost me?” And the sad truth is, nobody can give them a straight answer. We have a serious problem...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 22, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall “Nothing can come, nothing can come Nothing can come between us…” (Kaieteur News) – Those words are from British singer Sade’s 1988 song of the same name. It wasn’t her doing the honours in Guyana. Greet, Mr. Jacob Helsberg, U.S. Undersecretary of Economic...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com