Latest update May 19th, 2026 12:35 AM
Mar 05, 2025 News
—Gov’t cites U.S. sanctions for pulling plug
Kaieteur News- The Maritime Administration Department (MARAD) has announced that it has not renewed the cabotage permission for vessels operating on behalf of Hadi’s World, a company owned by U.S.-sanctioned businessmen Nazar Mohamed and his son, Azruddin Mohamed.
Cabotage permission allows foreign-flagged vessels to operate within a country’s coastal waters for domestic trade and transport. In this case, MARAD’s decision means that vessels previously authorised under Hadi’s World can no longer operate legally in Guyana’s maritime space.
In an updated press release on Tuesday afternoon, MARAD said that Mohamed’s cabotage permission expired on February 12, 2025, and has not been extended. This move follows sanctions imposed by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on June 11, 2024, against the Mohameds and their associated businesses. The sanctions were issued due to allegations of large-scale tax evasion, gold smuggling, money laundering, and other forms of public corruption. OFAC also warned that entities engaging with the sanctioned individuals or businesses could face penalties or enforcement actions.
MARAD has advised that any foreign-flagged vessel still operating on behalf of Hadi’s World, including motor tugs Amelia and Machelo, and deck barges Miriam and Carmelia, is now doing so illegally. Further, the State agency expressed its commitment to maintaining the integrity of Guyana’s maritime operations and ensuring compliance with both national and international regulations.
At his recent press conference, Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo addressed questions regarding cabotage permission for vessels associated with the Mohamed family.
He commented on a claim about cabotage permission for a national project, saying, “I’m not aware of that.” Regarding the renewal of the permission, Jagdeo said that he is aware of the permission expiring soon but is not aware of any recent permission given to Mohamed’s. However, he acknowledged seeing a permission granted in August 2024.
Jagdeo also last week played down any potential threat from businessman, Azruddin Mohamed if he enters the elections race, saying that he cannot take the time out to comment on every social media activist that hands out a few things to people. Mohamed has been drawing large crowds during visits to communities across the country. And recently, he caused quite a stir when he rolled into Corentyne to visit a large group of fishermen and other citizens. Mohamed has also made several visits to the hinterland- building homes for Indigenous residents, setting up small businesses for some and providing other gifts. He has also drawn strong appeal in recent stops in communities such as Albouystown and Victoria where scores of young people swarmed him.
At last week’s press conference, Jagdeo was asked to share the extent of his worry about the multi-ethnic feedback from Guyanese every time Mr. Mohamed goes out in public and if he decides to contest the 2025 General and Regional elections. He told the media that he is the leader of a political party, the largest one in Guyana, and his party has gotten to where it is because of its commitment to the citizens and the groundwork its members put in. “We transform the lives of many people, and we have… because of that, we have won several elections. We’re the only multi-ethnic party in the country, and you can see evidence of that. For me to comment politically on individuals and what they are doing would be premature,” Jagdeo said.
The VP stressed that he comments on the political opponents of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) and other parties even though some of them may very well be allies of the PPP. However, as the General Secretary of the party currently in government, he cannot be commenting “on every social media activist if they go to a community or any charity that hands out a few things to people.” “I made it clear that should people declare a political intention; then, at that point in time, it’s fair game for me to express a view on that party or that person, like when Glenn Lall declared his intention to form a political party. I dealt with him slightly differently. He has not formed the party as yet or declared he’s contesting the elections,” he explained.
(Mohamed loses licence to operate vessels)
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 19, 2026
Guyana’s 60TH Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports Kaieteur Sports – Guyana’s 60th Independence Diamond Jubilee Sports programme kicked off in the past week with four disciplines and three...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The debate over Article 13 of Guyana’s Constitution is not simply about words. It is about political power, who controls the state, and whether ordinary people truly have authority in national decision-making. The defenders of “inclusionary democracy” present it as a...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 19, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – Pres. Ali and the PPP Gov’t celebrates jobs, jobs, jobs. Question One: who’s doing them? Sure, there are more jobs. Question Two: what kind of jobs? Since the people to do high-level, top-quality jobs aren’t here. They keep running away. When only Haiti did worse than...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com