Latest update August 18th, 2026 10:27 AM
Mar 04, 2025 News
Kaieteur News- The Ministry of Housing and Water were able to acquire additional lands on the Essequibo Coast, Region 2 from the Guyana Lands and Survey Commission, to boost house lots allocation.

Minister of Housing and Water Collin Croal during the Dream Realize” event. (Ministry of Housing obtains)
The announcement was made on Saturday. The ministry hosted a three day “Dream Realize” event at Region 2 to assist residents in allocating house lots in the area. The event ran from February 28 to March 2, 2025.
This move follows a previous admission by Minister of Housing and Water, Collin Croal in early January, that the ministry had reached the saturation point for available lands in several regions and were hunting for more lands.
He stated that in Region Two, the Ministry was awaiting finalisation for the acquisition of more lands. “[At]Charity and Onderneeming there is a team working to acquire additional lands. In the case of Region Two, we are still awaiting the finalization for the acquisition of additional lands, but we have saturated what we have there,” Croal said.
On March 1, 2025, Croal confirmed that the ministry had acquired additional lands at the extension of the Onderneeming Housing Scheme, and those lots have been allocated at the Regional Housing Office in Anna Regina.
He said in the statement, “The ministry has successfully acquired additional land from the Guyana Lands and Survey Commission. The lands being allocated fall within the middle, moderate, and low-income brackets.”
Croal further stated that over 450 residents from the Essequibo Coast had been allocated residential lots in Onderneeming. Additionally, several participants had successfully processed their Agreements of Sale and Certificates of Title.
According to the minister, these allocated lands will be assessable by year end and construction of the houses will commence soon. Croal stated, “Contracts are set to be signed soon and infrastructure works are expected to begin before the end of the month. The scheme is strategically located near the Onderneeming Water Treatment Plant, which will provide reliable and quality water supply to the growing community.”
Meanwhile, the minister also visited Buxton/St. Joseph housing schemes, where he addressed drainage challenges in the area. He mentioned that the drainage issues had been delaying access for allottees. “The area is affected by drainage challenges, delaying access for allottees. However, I assured that the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA) is actively working on a long-term solution,” he said.
It was reported that during Minister Croal’s presentation at the budget debate in the National Assembly, he announced that 25,000 house lots are to be allocated this year, with a promise that 15,000 of those will be completed within the first six months of this year. With a budget allocation of $112.6 billion for housing in 2025, Croal stated, “We will allocate an additional minimum of 25,000 house lots this year of which over 15,000 will be accomplished before June. We will establish 20 new housing areas by June of 2025 to accomplish this 15,000 by June.” Additionally, he announced plans to construct 1,000 new houses this year.
(Ministry of Housing obtains additional lands at Onderneeming Housing Scheme)
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 18, 2026
Cricinfo – Barbados Tridents’ six-hitting prowess and five wickets between Gudakesh Motie and Mujeeb Ur Rahman helped them clinch the rain-hit game against St Lucia Kings in Gros Islet,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The local government system, and the regional administration that is supposed to support are not equipped to deal with the mandate that they are supposed to have. They do not possess the money, the machinery, or the authority to mobilise the resources required to remove the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – “Unusual peak.” In electricity demand. Hon. Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, was unusually clear with a warning to expect blackouts. Appreciate the candor, minister. The Wales Gas-to-Energy, the much-advertised solution, is closing in fast on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com