Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Aug 28, 2024 News

Displaced Palestinians shelter in a United Nations-run school, amid Israel-Hamas conflict, in Deir Al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip, August 27, 2024. REUTERS/Ramadan Abed
UNITED NATIONS, Aug 27 (Reuters) – United Nations aid operations in the Gaza Strip continued on Tuesday, a day after a senior U.N. official said humanitarian efforts had ground to a halt because new Israeli evacuation orders forced the shutdown of the main U.N. operations center.
U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric on Tuesday appeared to temper the remarks by the U.N. official, who spoke on Monday on condition of anonymity. When asked if conditions in Gaza had caused a halt to U.N. aid deliveries on Monday, Dujarric told reporters: “The conditions in Gaza yesterday made it extremely difficult for us to do our work.”
“We are doing what we can with what we have,” he said. “We’ve been saying from the beginning – this is aid delivery by seizing every opportunity, seizing every crack that we can fill. So every situation is assessed day by day, hour by hour.”
U.N. safety and security chief Gilles Michaud said on Tuesday that over the weekend the Israeli military only gave a few hours notice for more than 200 U.N. personnel to move out of offices and living spaces in Deir Al-Balah in central Gaza.
He said the “the timing could hardly be worse” with a massive polio vaccination campaign due to start shortly that required large numbers of U.N. staff to enter Gaza.
“The United Nations is determined to stay in Gaza,” he said in a statement. “Humanitarian aid delivery continues – a tremendous feat given that we are operating at the upper-most peripheries of tolerable risk.”
The International Rescue Committee said on Tuesday that the new evacuation orders by Israel had forced it and other humanitarian groups to “halt aid operations, during what is already a dire situation for civilians.”
“It’s urgent that humanitarian actors can continue their work, without threat from displacement or military operations. We urge all parties to protect civilians and facilitate humanitarian access at all times,” the organization posted on X.
The current war in the Palestinian enclave began on Oct. 7, 2023, when Hamas gunmen stormed into Israeli communities, killing around 1,200 people and abducting about 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.
Since then, Israel’s military has leveled swathes of the Palestinian enclave, driving nearly all of its 2.3 million people from their homes, giving rise to deadly hunger and disease and killing at least 40,000 people, according to Palestinian health authorities.
The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said on Tuesday that Gaza’s population was increasingly being told by Israel “to concentrate within the Israeli-designated zone in Al Mawasi, which spans to only about 41 square kilometers or roughly 11% of Gaza’s total area.”
It said overcrowding, with a density of 30,000 to 34,000 individuals per square kilometer (77,000 to 87,000 per square mile), had exacerbated a dire shortage of essential resources such as water, sanitation and hygiene supplies, health services, protection and shelter.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 22, 2026
…cricket legend says Guyana was a ‘No-Brainer’ for 519 expansion By Rawle Toney Kaieteur Sports – West Indies fast-bowling legend Courtney Walsh has taken another major step in life after...May 22, 2026
Peeping Tom… (Kaieteur News) – Every day, thousands of people in Guyana stand by the roadside, waiting for public transportation. They have one question on their minds: “How much will it cost me?” And the sad truth is, nobody can give them a straight answer. We have a serious problem...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 22, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall “Nothing can come, nothing can come Nothing can come between us…” (Kaieteur News) – Those words are from British singer Sade’s 1988 song of the same name. It wasn’t her doing the honours in Guyana. Greet, Mr. Jacob Helsberg, U.S. Undersecretary of Economic...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com