Latest update July 31st, 2026 12:23 AM
Jan 09, 2020 Letters
DEAR EDITOR,
The GuySuCo in a statement which appeared in the media regarding its production lamented the performance of its factories at Uitvlugt and Albion.
The Corporation, according to a January 03 article in another newspaper, said they were “…major mechanical failures in the Albion and Uitvlugt factories…” The newspaper also reported that the state-owned sugar company indicated that “[t]he Industry will continue to face challenges to achieving reliability in the factories if … capital investments continue to be delayed.”
The GAWU has recently learnt that the industry, this year, requires some $10.4B in support, of which $6.5B is required for capital investment. As far as we are aware, despite the Administration being knowledgeable of the GuySuCo’s plans and need for assistance, there has been no move towards ensuring the industry receives the help it is seek.
Of course, we would recollect caretaker President David Granger during his visit to Albion in June, 2019 said “[o]ur sugar industry is going to recover from the difficulties it is facing. This sugar industry is not on the point of death…I am not here to bury the sugar industry… We are in the process of restructuring this industry to respond to changes, which have taken place both externally and internally. It is being restructured so that it can be revived; so that we can make this industry not just sustainable but profitable. We are not here to merely survive; we are here to thrive! We are here to guarantee employees’ livelihoods. We are here to guarantee sugar’s position in the national economy. We are here to safeguard the rural economy”.
But despite the big talk by Mr. Granger, when it comes time to act and to put the money where his mouth is, he is frozen and, so far, has not made a decision.
The fact that the industry, at least at this time, is not having the support it requires, will in all likelihood, see a poorer performance in 2020. The GuySuCo has already said delayed investments would result in “…challenges to achieving reliability in the factories…”
With 151,000 tonnes of 2019 canes to be harvested in the 2020 first crop and insufficient funds to carry out full maintenance during the ongoing out-of-crop period, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to say what would be the outcome.
Clearly, the Granger Administration is not interested in sugar and more so sugar workers and their families and their communities. Apparently no, or any, effort would be spared to ensure that the industry and the thousands who depend on it are punished and forced into miserable circumstances. All the talk is nothing but cheap sloganeering.
Yours faithfully,
Seepaul Narine
General Secretary
GAWU
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Jul 31, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – Manchester United and Desert Vipers Owner Avi Glazer was in Guyana on Tuesday night to watch his team take on the Perth Scorchers in the ExxonMobil Guyana Global Super League....Jul 31, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There is something increasingly troubling about the rush by some people to demand the heads of two Ministers over the M.V. Barima tragedy. The problem is not that Ministers should never be held accountable, but that accountability should come after the facts are established,...Jul 19, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Few issues test the sovereignty of small states more severely than requests made by powerful friends. How should a country respond when cooperation is expected, but the proposed terms exceed its legal, financial and institutional capacity? That question...Jul 30, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – A tragedy of catastrophic proportions is now Guyana’s to manage. An old passenger ferry boat went to the bottom. According to news reports of Saturday, 73 bodies have been recovered and 76 rescued. Taking the official count of 179 passengers on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com