Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Jun 06, 2019 News
Works are moving apace on the $414M four-door sluice at D’Edward Village West Bank of Berbice, Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice).
Works on the critical drainage infrastructure are almost 60 per cent completed.
The contractor for the four-door sea sluice for the Mahaica-Mahaicony-Abary Agriculture Development Authority (MMA/ADA) is
Courtney Benn Contracting Services Limited (CBCSL), which is being supervised by E&A Consultants Incorporated in the execution of the works.
Manager for Drainage and Irrigation Services at MMA/ADA, Mahendranath Ramjit, said earlier this week, that the contractor had completed the floor with installation of the concrete slabs and piles
and other elements of the base.
CBCSL is currently constructing the walls of the sluice bringing it to about 60 per cent complete, according to a government statement.
Ramjit said that casting the walls and the revetments, as well as the construction of the gantry beams, are the major works that are required to complete the project for the November deadline.
The four-door sluice is being constructed not far from the three-door sluice, which has been in existence for over fifty years. The new structure will replace that ageing structure.
General Manager of the MMA/ADA, Aubrey Charles, recently explained that the new sluice would enhance drainage of all residential areas and agricultural lands along the coast between the Abary and Berbice Rivers known as the Abary/Berbice Sub-Region of Region Five.
The construction will provide enhanced drainage for more than 10,000 acres of land in the Abary/Berbice during inclement weather.
“The completion and operations of this sluice will boost farmers’ confidence in the drainage system and encourage them to be more productive; Agri production will greatly benefit in Region 5,” Charles said.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com