Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Feb 01, 2019 News
UOL BRAZIL – The superintendent of the Federal Police in Paraná, delegate Luciano Flores de Lima, said on Thursday last that security issues and difficulties involving the arrest process of former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (PT), in April of last year, were weighed in the rejection of Lula’s request to attend the funeral of his brother Genival Inácio da Silva, known as Vavá, in São Bernardo do Campo (SP).
Lula is being held at the Federal Police headquarters in Curitiba. He surrendered to serve his sentence in the triple trial more than a day after the deadline stipulated by the Justice. At the time, the former president was in the Metalworkers’ Union of ABC, in São Bernardo, before deciding to surrender. Militants and supporters tried to stop Lula from leaving.
The superintendent recalls that he needed help from the Military Police of São Paulo in the process of Lula’s arrest.
“You have seen the difficulty of taking someone out of a place surrounded by a crowd that for an ideological reason does not want a judicial measure to be carried out,” he said on Thursday.
Lima says that since the request for Lula’s defence to attend the funeral, Federal Police studied the logistics to take the former president to the city of Greater São Paulo. He said that the Federal Police had to analyze the risks of transporting the former president to the funeral, which was held on Wednesday last. The president of the Federal Supreme Court (STF), Minister Dias Toffoli, authorized Lula’s arrival fifteen minutes before the scheduled time for burial, which was held without Lula’s presence. The former president decided not to go to São Paulo after the decision of Toffoli.
The superintendent said that when a mission is given to the Federal Police, it is necessary to see responsibility to fulfill it. And, with the call of militants to “go to the place where a political event will be made”, a crowd was expected, difficulties were foreseen to ensure the safety of all, not only in the cemetery, but throughout the displacement.
“We are not here against anyone, we just don’t want to harm the image of any person or the right of any person. On the contrary, the Judiciary is there to guarantee rights,” commented the superintendent.
“The Federal Police are to guarantee the rights and not to repeal them.”
For the superintendent, it seems obvious, in this case, “the difficulty and responsibility of the state as a whole to guarantee the right of someone who is jailed to go to the funeral or burial of a relative.”
“Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done. Every case should be analyzed,” he said, recalling the justification given by the Justice to also deny the requests. The decision of the Federal Court, in the first and second instances, and the Federal Police against Lula’s visit to the funeral was criticized by supporters of the former president. The superintendent, however, said he did not understand the “controversy” surrounding the issue.
“It did not depend on anyone’s goodwill. There were no logistic conditions,” he said. Lima said he did not know of cases of prisoners who had been allowed to attend relatives’ oaths in other states, “used an airplane and millions in public spending to take him to another state where there was militancy.”
“I do not know in Brazilian history that this happened,” he said. Curitiba is about 450 kilometres away from São Bernardo. The superintendent also rejected the possibility of using a private aircraft to transport the former president.
“Imagine if we used a private aircraft, borrowed by someone who’s not guaranteed to be working in the state’s best interests, driven by a pilot whose intentions are not guaranteed to be in the state’s best interests to fly a former president of the Republic. Who guarantees that it will go to the destination that it should go?” he asked.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 22, 2026
…cricket legend says Guyana was a ‘No-Brainer’ for 519 expansion By Rawle Toney Kaieteur Sports – West Indies fast-bowling legend Courtney Walsh has taken another major step in life after...May 22, 2026
Peeping Tom… (Kaieteur News) – Every day, thousands of people in Guyana stand by the roadside, waiting for public transportation. They have one question on their minds: “How much will it cost me?” And the sad truth is, nobody can give them a straight answer. We have a serious problem...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 22, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall “Nothing can come, nothing can come Nothing can come between us…” (Kaieteur News) – Those words are from British singer Sade’s 1988 song of the same name. It wasn’t her doing the honours in Guyana. Greet, Mr. Jacob Helsberg, U.S. Undersecretary of Economic...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com