Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Nov 09, 2017 Court Stories, Features / Columnists, News
Senior Magistrate Fabayo Azore yesterday remanded a construction worker to prison on a charge of illegal gun and ammunition possession.
Thirty-year-old Marlon Smartt denied the allegation that on November 3 at Regent Street,
Georgetown, he had in his possession a .32 pistol and three live rounds of .32 ammunition, when he was not a licenced firearm holder.
He was represented by Attorney-at-Law Adrian Thompson.
The lawyer in his application to secure bail for Smartt told the court that his client is the caretaker of a three-storey property at Regent Street where the gun and ammunition were allegedly found.
The lawyer added that his client would normally go and overlook the building because persons would enter the premises and steal stuff.
Thompson further told the court that his client was at a bar drinking, since it was his birthday, and when he returned to the building he saw the door open. He said a few minutes later the police conducted a raid on the building and the gun and ammunition were found.
The lawyer told the court that his client when arrested was too intoxicated to answer to the allegations.
Police Prosecutor Simone Payne objected to bail being granted to the defendant citing the serious nature of the offence and the penalty the charge attracts.
The objection was upheld by the magistrate and the defendant was remanded to prison.
The father of three was instructed to make his next court appearance on November 15.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com