Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Aug 26, 2017 News
River authorities are warning mariners to steer clear of the capsized ferry in the Mazaruni
River, Region Seven.
According to the Maritime Administration Department (MARAD) in a notice published in Kaieteur News, MV Torani, a vessel of the state-owned Transport and Harbours Department (T&HD), sank close to the Mazaruni Prison wharf location. It is about 100 metres from the wharf, MARAD said.
The vessel, which was due for repairs, reportedly took prisoners to the facilities there following a major fire at the Camp Street jail which forced authorities to shift inmates around to the various holding facilities in the country.
Photographs surfaced this week showing the vessel on its side.
According to MARAD, the ferry is not fully submerged, with its starboard still visible at all tides.
MARAD warned mariners to steer clear of the vessel and to navigate with caution when in the vicinity.
MV Torani is well known to Berbicians plying the Rosignol and New Amsterdam route for years before the advent of the Berbice River Bridge. It was removed and placed on the Essequibo River.
MV Torani is said to be 57 years old, and together with its other sister vessels, including Malali, has been proving a major challenge to upkeep.
Still, the images of seeing the vessel on its side this week have evoked strong sentiments by some citizens.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com