Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Aug 15, 2017 News
Digicel yesterday denied that programming issues are the reason why its texts are not going through to the network of the Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GTT).
For the past three months, to date, customers of GTT have been unable to receive text messages (SMS) from Digicel, but are able to send. In statement by GTT, this was said to be due to “programming problems” experienced by Digicel.
However, Digicel contradicted this assertion, saying that “In truth, the respective technical teams of both Digicel and GT&T have been in continuous discussions in relation to this issue and both teams continue to work to find a solution”.
“Digicel’s only interest is in having a fully functioning service. We firmly believe that, in the interests of customers, our joint efforts should be focused on finding an effective solution within the shortest time possible,” said Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Digicel Guyana, Gregory Dean.
Digicel stated that the timing for the “outburst” by GTT corresponds with the July closing date for the conclusion of the telecommunications monopoly in Guyana – a deadline which has already passed.
Digicel says it is “committed to ensuring that customers benefit from all that liberalization has to offer”. Also it is anticipating the opportunity of being able to serve its clients with “a full suite of innovative and value-packed communications services.”
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com