Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Aug 20, 2016 Court Stories, Features / Columnists, News
Two men were yesterday remanded to prison for the murder of 13-year-old Daveand Sanchar, whose body was found with a chop wound to the head on Sunday last, at Plantain Walk, Triumph, East Coast Demerara.
Kevin Sahoy, 20, of 64 Agriculture Road, Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara, and Raymond Wong, 27, of 110 Agriculture Road, Triumph, East Coast Demerara, were not required to plead to the indictable charge of murder read to them by Magistrate Zamilla Ally-Seepaul.
Police Prosecutor David Goodridge told the court that on the day in question, the 13-year-old and the two accused were at a wedding house in the area. He said Sanchar became annoyed at Sahoy dancing with his aunt and subsequently left the wedding house for home.
According to Goodridge, Sanchar returned with a cutlass and an argument ensued between him and the accused, which resulted in Sahoy lashing him to the head with a piece of wood. Goodridge added that Wong was the one who chopped the teenager to his head with a cutlass.
Goodridge stated that Sanchar was picked up and transported to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Attorneys for the accused told the Magistrate that their clients have no pending or previous matter before the courts.
Prosecutor Goodridge indicated that investigations into the matter have been completed, and also, advice was sought from the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Sahoy, a mason, and Wong, an electrician, were instructed to return to the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court on September 13, for disclosure of statements.
According to reports, Sanchar was at a function in the village and was involved in an altercation with some men over a female. It was reported that Sanchar left the celebrations and returned with a cutlass. A further argument ensued and it was alleged that one of the men took away the cutlass from the teen and dealt him a chop to the head, while another man gave him a severe beating with a stick.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com