Latest update August 18th, 2026 10:27 AM
Aug 01, 2016 News
With claims of racial and political discrimination being made by former President Bharrat Jagdeo, People’s Progressive Party Civic member Gail Teixiera has accused the People’s National Congress of destroying the Ethnic Relations Commission.
Teixiera made these statements at a recent press conference held at Freedom House in the company of former Attorney General, Anil Nandlall.
The ERC was established in 2003. Its primary purpose is to hear and investigate the complaints of citizens who believe they have been mistreated based on their race.
But the ERC has been dormant since.
According to Teixiera, once the Commission had begun functioning, it became very active in exposing instances of discrimination, particularly in the matters of procurement and scholarship awards.
She said the then Leader of the Opposition Robert Corbin had moved to the court to file an injunction to stop the Commission from working. This was done in June 2011. The injunction was lifted in March 2014 upon a decision by the presiding Judge Brassington Reynolds.
According to Teixiera, by the time the injunction was thrown out, the members of the Commission had been fired. She alleged that the PNC disrupted the work of the one body outside of the league of the court where an ordinary citizen who felt that they were slighted based on the colour of their skin, could have gone to make a report.
She said that if the PNC was so serious about fighting racial discrimination then it would not have taken the actions it did to ensure the ERC became dysfunctional.
The PNC had at the time put forward several claims against the ERC and called for its reconstruction. It was alleged that the Chairman of the body Juan Edghill could not have been trusted to be impartial. Further, the proceedings of the Commission were deemed unconstitutional, since the term of the Commissioners had come to an end in 2007.
Additionally, the then opposition cited unconstitutional decisions by the Commission, lack of quorum and interference in elections. The June 2011 injunction was filed months before General and Regional Elections which were held in November of that year.
The PNC had accused Juan Edghill of interfering in elections when he held a meeting with the Guyana Elections Commission seeking to play a role in the (then) forthcoming local elections.
The PNC also took the position that the three Commissioners, Juan Edghill, John Willems and Carvil Duncan could not have constituted a quorum, since meetings needed the presence of the Chairman and not less than four members.
Added to the injunction which was filed, the combined opposition had reduced the budgetary allocation to the ERC from $99.41M to a meagre $1.
After the May 2015 General and Regional Elections, the reconstruction of the Commission was further stymied when the new parliamentary opposition was absent from the National Assembly on several occasions. At present, the Commission is still before the Parliamentary Committee to be recreated.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Comments are closed.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 18, 2026
Cricinfo – Barbados Tridents’ six-hitting prowess and five wickets between Gudakesh Motie and Mujeeb Ur Rahman helped them clinch the rain-hit game against St Lucia Kings in Gros Islet,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The local government system, and the regional administration that is supposed to support are not equipped to deal with the mandate that they are supposed to have. They do not possess the money, the machinery, or the authority to mobilise the resources required to remove the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – “Unusual peak.” In electricity demand. Hon. Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, was unusually clear with a warning to expect blackouts. Appreciate the candor, minister. The Wales Gas-to-Energy, the much-advertised solution, is closing in fast on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com
Who caused it to be dysfunctional? Did you consider the man who declared that if JESUS was here he would have supported wrong doing?
What Teixiera does not seem to understand is,that in every organization there are being guided by rules or laws.The PPP party has been such a lawless one,that even the laws of Guyana it disrespected.