Latest update August 18th, 2026 10:27 AM
Jun 12, 2016 News
A man who started the New Year in 2013 by allegedly slashing another’s throat is on trial in the Berbice High Court before Justice Brassington Reynolds and a mixed Jury on a charge of attempt murder.
The man, Hansel Andre Lewis called “Smiley” “Hansel” and “Andre”, 38, of 479 John Lewis Street, Angoy’s Avenue, New Amsterdam, Berbice, is charged with attempted murder committed on Chris Borrowes on New Year’s Day 2013 at Republic Road, New Amsterdam. He is also charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm or to maim, disfigure or disable Burrowes
Prosecutor, Attorney at law Stacey Goodings, told the court that on New Year’s Day 2013 at Republic Road New Amsterdam, Lewis wounded Chris Burrowes with intent to murder him.
Burrowes, 41, called “Bully” of Alexander Street, New Amsterdam was slashed across his throat following an altercation between the two men. He was rushed to the New Amsterdam Hospital and taken to the ICU where doctors’ performed emergency surgery on him.
Lewis, a deportee from the USA, went home. He was subsequently arrested for the crime and charged.
Attorney-at-Law Ramesh Rajkumar is appearing for the accused.
Prosecutor Goodings has so far called four witnesses. Policeman Ashook Latchimi Persaud, stated the part he played in the investigation.
Businessman Anthony Cadore, the owner of the Rainbow Bar, in his evidence stated that he had an Old Year’s Night activity at his bar. He said that the incident did not occur at his bar but a distance away. The place was full so he did not see the incident, but saw the two men some time during the activity.
Burrowes, in his evidence in chief, told the court that he had known the accused for a number of years. On the day in question he was in the vicinity of the Rainbow Bar. He had drunk Banko Wine and was standing on the road.
The accused came and stood next to him. “Hansel was smoking something and I told him to remove and go somewhere else. He told me I like to talk. After that I did not see him and went home.
“I returned on the road. I had just finished urinating and was in the process of zipping up my pants when the accused appeared next to me. He pulled out a knife from his left side pocket and stabbed me in my left side neck. I looked at him good, there was nothing blocking me. I held on to my neck because it was bleeding.”
Burrowes stated that he subsequently went to his parents’ home not far away from where he was rushed to the New Amsterdam Hospital. He was discharged on January 18.
The preliminary inquiry was conducted by Magistrate Adela Nagamootoo which concluded that a prima facie case was made out against the accused.
The matter is continuing.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 18, 2026
Cricinfo – Barbados Tridents’ six-hitting prowess and five wickets between Gudakesh Motie and Mujeeb Ur Rahman helped them clinch the rain-hit game against St Lucia Kings in Gros Islet,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The local government system, and the regional administration that is supposed to support are not equipped to deal with the mandate that they are supposed to have. They do not possess the money, the machinery, or the authority to mobilise the resources required to remove the...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 18, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – “Unusual peak.” In electricity demand. Hon. Minister of Public Utilities and Aviation, Deodat Indar, was unusually clear with a warning to expect blackouts. Appreciate the candor, minister. The Wales Gas-to-Energy, the much-advertised solution, is closing in fast on...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com