Latest update May 23rd, 2026 5:48 AM
Jan 12, 2026 News
(Kaieteur News) – The frequent adjournment of cases is nipping at the patience of the family of Stacy Walton, who complain that they have been showing up for court hearings at the New Amsterdam Magistrate’s Court, only to be told that the case has been postponed.
While they understand that such matters sometimes require comprehensive due process, the family said if the court is prepared, justice will be served and time will not be wasted.
Twenty-Two-year-old Stacy died on June 20 last year, after the car she was driving reportedly ran into a trench on the No.19 Public Road, Corentyne. The suspect, her 46-year-old boyfriend, Alfred Dejonge had told police that Walton was ahead in a separate car when the incident occurred. His next account, which lend to much debate on the accuracy of his story, stated that he was with her in the car when they had an argument before the car ended up in the canal.
The family said on several occasions, they would attend court on time for 9 am, but would be in the waiting area until just after 11. When the matter is finally called, the parents would be relieved to proceed with the trial, but in less than five minutes they would be making their way out of the courtroom, as the matter would be pushed back. Not much information pertaining to the postponement is ever given.
The matter was first called in the Reliance Magistrate’s Court before magistrate Michelle Mathias on June 25, 2025, days after the incident. Dejonge, represented by attorney Chandra Sohan, was charged with manslaughter, and was subsequently released on $1 million bail.
Raoul Walton, father of the dead woman, is a farmer who sells his produce during the day. He maintains that Dejonge murdered his daughter, and as such, should have been remanded. Moreover, he said the consistent shuffling of court dates drains him and his family.
“It is more than six months now, and the case is not going anywhere as far as I’m concerned, because every court date is another court day without a hearing of this case,” Walton told this publication.
On July 21, the was brought to the Magistrate’s Court in New Amsterdam. On September 26, the trial got underway, but in a matter of minutes was adjourned until November 10 at 9:00am. Both parents presented themselves, but the matter was called just after 11am. Upon entering the courtroom after a two-hour standby, the magistrate informed them that the matter would be adjourned until January 9, 2026, as the counsel for Dejonge had another matter in the high court that same day. Their appearance at court on Friday, January 9, was yet another episode of frustration, as the matter was then pushed to January 22.
“Yesterday (Friday, January 9), in court, I heard a conversation between the magistrate, his (Dejonge’s) lawyer and the prosecutor concerning the vehicle that Stacy was in- the vehicle that was in the trench. They’re (defense) claiming that the vehicle is in the same state that it was when Stacy died. The vehicle was home by Alfred Dejonge instead,” the father told this publication.
This conversation last for a few minutes after which the new date was conveyed to the two sides.
“Hopefully, we gon’ hear something transpiring positive that we could see that something is going on,” the father expressed.
Already, the family has expressed that they are not too optimistic about a positive outcome of the matter for them, and the consistent delays are only helping to dilute their already thin hopes.
“The way this case going, it look very unsure. I am her father, and all I’m asking for is justice for my child, (but) I’m already seeing like justice ain’t coming from the system side.”
For Raoul and his wife, attending the court session began with all fervor in the pursuit of justice for his deceased daughter. Now, with faith in the system waning, going to the court proceedings is becoming just a formality- a family showing up necessarily for the matter involving their daughter.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 23, 2026
Top individual honours following dominant 2026 Windies C’ship… By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – New West Indies Regional 4-Day champions TT Red Force not only claimed this season’s title...May 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There are people who dream about falling. Others dream about showing up to school late. I once dreamt that I was being chased through Bourda Market by a giant tax return. But nothing prepared me for the dream I had recently about the proposed Development Bank — a bank so...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Say it is not so, Mr. President! No way, Excellency Ali! Can’t be! Not in this Guyana, Pres Ali. Nevah, nevah, in oil rich Guyana, Master Governor Ali. Guyanese buying one tennis roll on credit? Not one bag, BUT ONE TENNIS ROLL. And a glob/dab of nut...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com