Latest update August 22nd, 2026 10:20 AM
Sep 01, 2025 News
Kaieteur News – The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) on Sunday disclosed that of the 757,690 registered voters on the Official List of Electors (OLE), 27,879 are first-time voters who expected to cast their ballots in today’s General and Regional Elections.
At a press conference on Sunday afternoon, GECOM’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) Yolanda Ward explained that the figure captures both persons who recently turned 18 and older individuals who registered for the first time. “I did provide some initial statistics, which essentially only captured those eligible first-time voters 18 years and older, or equal to 18 years and older at this election. But we’ve had registration cycles where we’d have persons older than 18 years old that have registered and are now eligible electors,” Ward stated.
Below is the breakdown of eligible voters and first-time voters by district:
| District | Eligible Voters | First time voters |
| District One | 24, 453 | 2,076 |
| District Two | 42, 596 | 1,733 |
| District Three | 116,876 | 4,107 |
| District Four | 323,436 | 9,580 |
| District Five | 50,796 | 1,637 |
| District Six | 111,554 | 3,267 |
| District Seven | 17,846 | 1,284 |
| District Eight | 9,192 | 821 |
| District Nine | 22,481 | 1,883 |
| District Ten | 38,460 | 1,491 |
| TOTAL | 757,690 | 27,879 |
Notably, Ward was also asked about the increase in the OLE, which has moved from 661,000 in 2020 to 757,690 in 2025. In response to this, GECOM’s Deputy Chief Elections Officer (DCEO) Anneal Giddings explained, “Since 2020 there have been several cycles of continuous registration phases one and two and in between claims and objections all of those will be responsible for what I should say a historic trend because if you look at OLE dating backwards it hovers around 100,000 odd every cycle of elections.”
Notably, GECOM’s Chief Elections Officer (CEO) Vishnu Persaud who was also present at the press conference said that the Secretariat can provide a breakdown of the figure through the PRO at a later time.
Moreover, GECOM’s CEO was also asked if he still confident the results will be announced by September 2, a date he had earlier stated. Firstly, Persaud noted that the timeline of the results declaration will be based on practicality. He explained that at the time he made that pronouncement of September 2nd, he did not consider the predecessor task of the act of tabulations, which involves the scanning and uploading of the statements of polls. As such he stated, “I do not see that we can complete that exercise in less than eight hours especially for the higher populated regions maybe in districts one, and seven and eight we might be able to do that.”
He added that for the other districts the declaration would have to wait until September 3. Persaud noted also, “The issue of request for recount was not factored into that…all being equal we now should be able to have declarations in the districts by the evening of the third (September 3rd)…again provided that there are no request for recount, there is always that possibility.”
“But once we have the district declarations in place for all the districts by the evening of the third and all of those declarations get to me by the morning of the fourth (September 4th), the national declaration, the Commission should be able to make that,” the CEO said. In terms of the mechanisms GECOM have in place, Persaud noted that the equipment that will be used for scanning and upload and tabulation of the results are functional and have been tested at all of the tabulation centres. He also stressed that GECOM has contingencies in place for possible network or electricity disruptions.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 22, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – History was made at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on Thursday evening when Orina Silas and Shania Benjamin became the first female inmates from Guyana, and believed to be the...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The words of South African Anglican priest and anti-apartheid activist Michael Lapsley today rings with the moral clarity that the world desperately needs to hear. After returning from Havana, he did not mince words. He accused the United States of inflicting “a genocide...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 22, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – The PPP Gov’t will give an arm and a leg to get the MV Barima off the front-pages. I go so far as to assert that some would part with their left nut to hustle the tragedy of the MV Barima out of the media altogether. C’mon folks, it is only 100 dead, […]Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com