Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Nov 10, 2020 News
– all schools well prepared says Minister of Labour and Regional Chairman.
Kaieteur News – Minister of Labour Joseph Hamilton, along with the Regional Chairman David Armogan and Education Officer Volika Jaikishun, yesterday visited a few schools in Berbice to assess the turnout and preparations that were put in place for Grade 10 and 11 students to return to school.
According to the Minister, the intention was to have ministers who were visiting the various regions to visit the schools to “ensure that everything is in order” and to ensure that the children and teachers are practising the COVID-19 guidelines in light of the deadly pandemic.
The Ministry of Education led by Minister Priya Manickchand had made the decision to have students from Grades 10 and 11 turn out to classes. In a release by the Ministry last month, it stated that Grades 10 and 11 students needed critical time in the classroom to complete their School Based Assessments (SBA) and as such, they were earmarked to be the first to return to school. The decision has since brought mixed reviews among Guyanese with some parents and teachers disagreeing with having the children back in school since it poses possible risks in light of COVID, while others applauded the move.
Visits to the Berbice High School and the New Amsterdam Multilateral School by Minister Hamilton revealed that the schools were prepared and students and teachers were ready and willing to work.
“Based on observations, everything was well prepared. We were given a tour of all the classrooms…the schools had a sick bay in the event of an emergency and the schools have set out rotation systems”, the Minister said.
Regional Chairman David Armogan disclosed that there was over 80% turnout at schools and what they noticed was that, “they were quite prepared for the COVID measures. All have proper toilet facilities, 3 – 4 sinks when you enter and water tanks.”
He added that there were persons checking the temperature at every school as they entered and social distancing was in full effect in the classrooms with all of the students and educators masked up with their sensitization kits that was prepared by the Ministry of Education.
“The fact that so many turned out is a good sign. I think we are well prepared at this time to ensure that our children and teachers are safe”, Armogan said.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 22, 2026
…cricket legend says Guyana was a ‘No-Brainer’ for 519 expansion By Rawle Toney Kaieteur Sports – West Indies fast-bowling legend Courtney Walsh has taken another major step in life after...May 22, 2026
Peeping Tom… (Kaieteur News) – Every day, thousands of people in Guyana stand by the roadside, waiting for public transportation. They have one question on their minds: “How much will it cost me?” And the sad truth is, nobody can give them a straight answer. We have a serious problem...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 22, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall “Nothing can come, nothing can come Nothing can come between us…” (Kaieteur News) – Those words are from British singer Sade’s 1988 song of the same name. It wasn’t her doing the honours in Guyana. Greet, Mr. Jacob Helsberg, U.S. Undersecretary of Economic...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com