Latest update August 23rd, 2026 10:28 AM
Aug 01, 2017 News
After working several weeks on a building located at the corner of Regent and Wellington Streets, contractors were instructed to halt all works.
The Mayor and City Council issued a letter to Ms. Vidushree Ramkumar, mother of Devi Ramkumar, the owner of the land, stating that her construction was contrary to her business plan that was previously approved.
A section of the letter states, “(We wish to)bring to your attention one aspect of you contracting contrary to the plan, is that of you not leaving the required and approved set-back distance to the west of the above mentioned property.”
This suggested that Ramkumar had invaded the property of another business owner, who is located on the western half of sub-lot D, to accommodate her own.
As a result of this, the business woman was informed that she has 14 days to have her digressions fixed.
She told this newscast that she had received approval from City Council to proceed with her plan, which is now according to City Engineer, Colvern Venture, not in keeping with her agreement.
She explained, “This building is owned by me, Sub-lot East. It has two parts, Sub-lot D and Sub-lot East half is mine. Somebody is telling Council that I have two feet on their land, but according to the measurement, if I have two feet on somebody else’s land, then I have two feet on the Government’s land, so the council is not telling me where is my two feet but the manager told somebody else who don’t have a plan where their two feet is.”
She clarified that she does not wish to mention a name since she has no proof to support her accusations.
Ramkumar said that the property has been in their name since her father left it to them. She even has papers to prove that council had approved this, she said.
She further stated that the council came and carried out measurements on her property some two weeks prior to her beginning construction. Now two weeks later they are saying, “It’s not okay.”
She said they had stopped us without a letter, and the attorney for the other half of the land, R.N. Poonai, sent a letter but never explained which part of her construction needs to be halted.
Venture said he prefers not to pronounce on the matter because he has not seen the owner since the letter was issued.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 23, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – The stage is set for the most lucrative day in Guyana’s horse racing, today, Sunday August 23 at Rising Sun Turf Club. The weather conditions are immaculate, and 14...Aug 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – In the 1970s when I was a young employee of a large, service-oriented private-sector firm in Guyana, I was not yet a confirmed employee and therefore could not wear the prescribed uniform. But I was nevertheless expected to dress in a manner appropriate to the office. One day I...Aug 23, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – I have been an advocate of the Caribbean Court of Justice from its conception. In 2015, on the Court’s tenth anniversary, I described its creation as arguably the most significant institutional achievement of the English-speaking Caribbean since the...Aug 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – First, they had their arms wrapped around demand. Then the PPP Govt confessed. It did not. They had plans and visions. Only for those to become blurred. It’s the haze of the “unusually hot” weather, stupid. What’s so hard about...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com