Latest update August 16th, 2026 10:20 AM
Jul 28, 2017 News
Prominent attorney-at-law and former Magistrate, Chandra Sohan, was on Wednesday evening
released on his own recognizance after a Habeas Corpus was filed by Sohan’s attorney and was granted by the Chief Justice in Berbice on Wednesday.
Sohan explained that there are no grounds to institute charges against him. “They don’t have nothing to go on to charge me”.
He stated that approximately two months ago two witnesses in the case had indicated to the then prosecutor Stephen Telford that they were made to sign statements based on a promise that they would be released. The witnesses, Sohan said, would have told Telford that they did not dictate any statement to the police.
He added that about five weeks ago the two witnesses sought to retain his services stating, “they were without a lawyer in the beginning of the statement so that was the first encounter. Telford was there and I asked him if he was aware of what they are saying and he said yes”.
According to Sohan, Telford had assured that he was aware and he had already informed the Magistrate. It was on that day that the then prosecutor decided to call both of the witnesses. “I just simply went up to the court with them (the two witnesses). I said, ‘Your worship the witness has something he wishes to tell the court.’ The person said what he had to say and the magistrate made a note of it. That was all my involvement in the matter”, Sohan disclosed. He opined that every person charged or is appearing in court is entitled to a council. “These people came to me; I didn’t go them,” he stressed.
Chandra Sohan was placed under arrest at the Springlands Police Station for allegedly attempting to pervert the course of justice.
Meanwhile, thus far four witnesses were called to the stand yesterday and were cross examined. The PI is being done by way of a paper committal. It will continue on August 3, 2017 where other witnesses will be cross examined by the counsel representing the five accused Orlando Dickie, Diodat Datt, Niran Yacoob, Radesh Motie and Hari Paul Parsram.
It was also reported that two relatives of Marcus Bisram were arrested at the court yesterday. However, Divisional Commander Paul Williams confirmed the individuals were only detained for a short while. They were reportedly causing a disturbance at the court while the case was ongoing.
Faiyaz Narinedatt’s battered and bloodied body was found lying lifeless along the Number 70 Public Road after an evening of “partying” at a well known overseas based Philanthropist, Marcus Bisram. It was reported that at the gathering between October 30 and November 1, Narinedatt rejected Bisram’s sexual advances.
Annoyed, Bisram reportedly ordered Dickie, Datt, Yacoob, Motie and Parsram to “deal with him”. He was allegedly beaten by the men and dumped on the public road to make it seem as though the carpenter was a victim of a hit and run. However, things quickly unraveled after relatives of Narinedatt insisted that their loved one was murdered.
Bisram was arrested in the United States months after the murder and was placed before the courts.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Rising Debt, Rising US Dollar Rate in Oil-rich Guyana!

Aug 16, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – Several aspiring and established boxing officials are set to strengthen their knowledge of the sport as the Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) launched its 2026 Referee/Judges...Aug 16, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – It is deeply misleading to present Forbes Burnham primarily as a tragic nation-builder whose ambitions were constrained by Guyana’s ethnic divisions. That interpretation reverses the relationship between cause and consequence. Guyana’s ethnic divisions were indeed real,...Aug 16, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – Haiti’s plight must not be forgotten because it is no longer a regular feature of international headlines. The suffering has not diminished. Between January and early June 2026, at least 2,310 people were killed, 1,106 were injured and 99 were kidnapped,...Aug 16, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – It pains to listen, read, absorb the descendants of slaves and indentured servants make public representation that prioritises chasing after those condemned. Leakers. After all the great sacrifices made by foreparents, in the jaws of fearsome...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com