Latest update August 23rd, 2026 10:28 AM
May 12, 2017 News
Cabinet has approved the new set of regulations proposed by the Guyana National Broadcasting Authority (GNBA). This brings the Authority another step closer to the day when it will finally have the tools needed to bring law and order to the local broadcasting.
Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo recently told Kaieteur News that he has “done the necessaries” after receiving the regulations from GNBA Board Chairman, Leslie Sobers.
He said that he then took it to Cabinet and it is now being sent to Chief Parliamentary Counsel to be vetted.
Only last month Sobers handed over advice for the new regulations to better enforce provisions of the broadcasting authority. Nagamootoo said he completed the new regulations.
Consultations on the broadcasting regulations started some time ago. Regulations are crucial as officials have pointed out a number of deficiencies in the past, especially with regards to enforcement.
Attention is being paid to the GNBA and its activities, as there were questions when the Bharrat Jagdeo administration in 2011 approved several radio and cable licences to close friends and associates.
Some of the frequencies even went to the ruling People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C).
Several prominent media houses were overlooked, including Kaieteur News and Stabroek News, for radio licences.
The granting of those licences was done despite a standing agreement to have new broadcast laws in effect and an authority in place. The approval by Jagdeo was done a few weeks before he ended his constitutional two terms in office.
Several broadcasters have since been found to be in breach of the current regulations.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Aug 23, 2026
Kaieteur Sports – The stage is set for the most lucrative day in Guyana’s horse racing, today, Sunday August 23 at Rising Sun Turf Club. The weather conditions are immaculate, and 14...Aug 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – In the 1970s when I was a young employee of a large, service-oriented private-sector firm in Guyana, I was not yet a confirmed employee and therefore could not wear the prescribed uniform. But I was nevertheless expected to dress in a manner appropriate to the office. One day I...Aug 23, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – I have been an advocate of the Caribbean Court of Justice from its conception. In 2015, on the Court’s tenth anniversary, I described its creation as arguably the most significant institutional achievement of the English-speaking Caribbean since the...Aug 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – First, they had their arms wrapped around demand. Then the PPP Govt confessed. It did not. They had plans and visions. Only for those to become blurred. It’s the haze of the “unusually hot” weather, stupid. What’s so hard about...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com