Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Oct 22, 2014 News
A 30-year-old shop owner accused of holding a 69-year-old businessman at gunpoint and snatching $2M from him
on one of the city’s busiest streets was remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on Monday.
Jimmy Meyers of East Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown who appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court is alleged to have carried out the daring armed robbery last Friday.
Police Prosecutor, Inspector Michael Grant reported that the sexagenarian, Deryck Khan, a businessman of Subryanville, Georgetown, made a withdrawal from Scotiabank on Robb Street, and was about to transact business at a Regent Street store around 14:35 hours last Friday.
It is alleged that Meyers confronted Khan with a gun as he exited the vehicle and attempted to snatch his money-bag.
A struggle ensued and Meyers discharged a shot before relieving the businessman of his bag. He then escaped with an accomplice on a motorcycle.
Inspector Grant explained that acting on information, police ranks went to East Ruimveldt where they arrested Meyers. The accused, according to the Prosecutor, was positively identified as the robber who had attacked the businessman.
Following his not guilty plea, Meyers’ attorney, Gordon Gilhuys, told the Court that ranks arrested him while he was in bed. According to Gilhuys, his client tried to explain to the ranks that he knew nothing of the robbery.
Gilhuys said that the 30-year-old has three children and operates a shop in East La Ruimveldt.
However, Grant informed the Court that the defendant was previously convicted for possession of firearm and ammunition offences. He emphasised that Meyers was positively identified during an identification parade.
Grant asked the court to consider the nature, gravity and prevalence of the offence, and deny him bail.
Notwithstanding the bail application, Meyers was remanded to prison. The case is set to be called on November 3.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.