Latest update April 4th, 2025 12:14 AM
Jul 25, 2014 News
By Caribbean Journal staff
Antigua’s Prime Minister Gaston Browne, has signed a memorandum of agreement with Sheikh Tariq bin Faisal Al Qassimi on a $120 million hotel project, the government announced.
The agreement with the United Arab Emirates-based investor was signed on Sunday after negotiations following Browne’s trip to Brazil last week.
Al Qassimi signed the agreement on behalf of Al Caribi Development, which will develop a five-star branded luxury resort project on Morris Bay near the island’s famous Curtain Bluff hotel.
The property will be located on a 36-acre beachfront site, the government said, five acres of which will be developed into a national park facility.
The government said in a statement; that the resort would be carried out by a joint venture company formed with the government, but that, should the project fail to perform within a specified period, the land would automatically revert to the government.
“This safeguard is intended to ensure that no long drawn-out court procedure is required to settle any complications resulting from non-performance,” Browne said.
The government said the project was expected to break ground on its first phase within six months, following the granting of licences and architectural renderings.
Al Qassimi is a member of the ruling family of the Emirate of Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates.
He is a frequent investor in private equity and other ventures.
The agreement is the latest high-profile project signed by Antigua’s government since taking over in the country’s national elections last month.
Sharjah is the third-largest Emirate in the UAE.
The UAE and the wider Middle East has been ramping up its investment in the Caribbean tourism sector, most notably through Dubai-based Range Developments’ planned Park Hyatt in St Kitts.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]